FWHM of radioactive sources confusion

In summary, the smaller the FWHM value, the more predictable the decay lifetime of a radioactive source is. The FWHM is a measure of the width of the peak on a plot of # of decays vs. decay time. Sources with narrower FWHMs have predictable decay lifetimes, which can be useful for dating.
Luck of Ebisu
I am not sure if I should be using this board or the nuclear board but I chose this board because it is for class work. Anyways over the past few months I have been collecting data from radioactive sources (Th-230, Am-241, Po-210, Pu-238). Now I understand that the number of events divided by the live time will be proportional to the strength of the source. What I am not clear about is what the FWHM of the peaks means. My professor had me take note of them and it seemed like the smaller the FWHM the better of a source it was; but I don't know what the FWHM is really a measure of (in terms of the quality of the source). Going along with that, why would two different Th-230 sources have a different FWHM for their primary peak?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The decay time of a source, as you have probably seen, is not exactly predictable; rather, it can happen at any time but tends to occur near a certain 'mean' time. In other words, just like a plinko game, there is a distribution of values which theoretically extends from t=0 (short decay time) to t-->infinity (long decay time). It looks sort of like a bell curve, and it is called either a Gaussian or Poisson distribution, depending on the number of events. Since these functions technically have infinite width, a convenient reference to use is the full-width-half-maximum or FWHM value. See http://www.physics.sfsu.edu/~bland/courses/490/labs/b2/b2.html for details.

If you look at your Gaussian on a plot of # of decays vs. decay time, you see there is a certain time where the number of decays peaks. This maximum is sometimes called the mean decay lifetime. The "distance" (in this case time) between the half-maximum values, which occur on either side of the peak, is the FWHM. The narrower the FWHM, the more likely a source will decay within a certain range of its mean value. See Wikipedia "FWHM" or the web page mentioned above for a decent picture of this.

So sources that have narrow FWHMs have very predictable decay lifetimes, which can be useful. I believe one of the drawbacks of carbon-14 dating is that, the older the organic sample is, the wider the FWHM value is and therefore the harder it is to date with good statistical confidence.

I don't know why two different Th-230 sources would have different FWHM values; this could either be normal statistical variance or it could have something to do with the purity or age of the sample. I would think that the older a sample is, the less predictably it will decay, since much of the sample has already decayed into something stable and you have just a few unstable nuclei left. However, I think the mean decay lifetime should be the same no matter what the age of the sample is. Was this the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Luck of Ebisu said:
I am not sure if I should be using this board or the nuclear board but I chose this board because it is for class work. Anyways over the past few months I have been collecting data from radioactive sources (Th-230, Am-241, Po-210, Pu-238). Now I understand that the number of events divided by the live time will be proportional to the strength of the source. What I am not clear about is what the FWHM of the peaks means. My professor had me take note of them and it seemed like the smaller the FWHM the better of a source it was; but I don't know what the FWHM is really a measure of (in terms of the quality of the source). Going along with that, why would two different Th-230 sources have a different FWHM for their primary peak?

Thanks
Are you counting gamma rays with a multi-channel analyzer?

I'm sorry, I really should have specified that. I am using a multichannel analyzer, so the peaks I am getting the FWHM from are a small range of channels representing a small range of energies, and the total number of counts at each specific energy. Also for what its worth, to be able to compare the different elements, I divided each FWHM by the peak channel.

Anyone?

What is FWHM of radioactive sources?

The FWHM (full width at half maximum) of a radioactive source refers to the width of the energy spectrum of the emitted radiation at the point where the intensity is half of the maximum intensity. It is used as a measure of the energy resolution of the source.

Why is FWHM important in studying radioactive sources?

The FWHM is important because it provides information about the energy resolution of a radioactive source. Higher energy resolution means that the source can distinguish between different energy levels more accurately, which is important in many scientific and medical applications.

How is the FWHM of a radioactive source measured?

The FWHM is typically measured using a gamma-ray detector, which is placed near the source. The detector records the energy spectrum of the emitted radiation, and the FWHM is calculated from this spectrum. The measurement is usually repeated multiple times and an average is taken to get a more accurate value.

What factors can affect the FWHM of a radioactive source?

There are several factors that can affect the FWHM of a radioactive source, including the type of radioactive decay, the energy of the emitted radiation, and the physical properties of the source material. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and pressure can also impact the FWHM.

Can FWHM of a radioactive source be improved?

Yes, the FWHM of a radioactive source can be improved by using higher-quality detectors, optimizing the source material and geometry, and reducing external factors that can affect the FWHM. Additionally, advances in technology and techniques may also lead to improvements in FWHM measurements.