Do I have potential for Post-grad physics?

In summary, I think you should continue your education at the undergraduate level. You have a lot of potential, and hard work will get you there.
joelio36
I would love to study physics to postgrad level, and work in a university, conducting studies and giving lectures.
I'm not familiar with American Education levels, so I'll give a vague view of my education so far:

At 16, we take GCSE's (General Certificate of Secondary Education) - Universal Education Level 2
I got Physics and Maths highest grade.
Now I'm taking A-Levels (16 to 18 years old, Universal Education level 3). In my first tests I got 95% in maths and 100% in Physics.

I like to think I'm talented in physics and maths, and I am willing to work pretty hard (say on average 8-9 hours a day on weekdays, including lectures).
Do I have potential, or are these qualifications too trival to be able to tell?

I have no clue how hard post-grad level physics is, but I like a challenge :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You have only done one test in each subject. The subject matter tends to get more difficult. You have done well so far, but it's too early to tell. Just keep workig as hard as possible, and that will probably be enough to get into post-grad.

qspeechc said:
You have only done one test in each subject. The subject matter tends to get more difficult. You have done well so far, but it's too early to tell. Just keep workig as hard as possible, and that will probably be enough to get into post-grad.

My IQ never tested above 130, and I did OK in grad level physics. It is more about hard work than natural talent. Keep working hard.

Michael Courtney

Dr. Courtney said:
My IQ never tested above 130, and I did OK in grad level physics. It is more about hard work than natural talent. Keep working hard.

Michael Courtney

IQ is a poor indicator of intelligence as well.

I second that Shackleford. IQ has many flaws if you ask me, and we humans are still trying to understand how thoughts are formed. But like Dr. Courtney said, hard work is what you need to do great in the future. That is what all the greatest scientists and thinkers of our past used to do. Most of them relied on hard work and not pure talent.

BioCore said:
I second that Shackleford. IQ has many flaws if you ask me, and we humans are still trying to understand how thoughts are formed. But like Dr. Courtney said, hard work is what you need to do great in the future. That is what all the greatest scientists and thinkers of our past used to do. Most of them relied on hard work and not pure talent.

IQ attempts to measure intelligence over a brief time interval. The most complex ideas in math, physics, etc., took a long time to conceive and be established. But, who knows, maybe Newton would have scored incredibly high on an IQ test.

joelio36 said:
I would love to study physics to postgrad level, and work in a university, conducting studies and giving lectures.
I'm not familiar with American Education levels, so I'll give a vague view of my education so far:

At 16, we take GCSE's (General Certificate of Secondary Education) - Universal Education Level 2
I got Physics and Maths highest grade.
Now I'm taking A-Levels (16 to 18 years old, Universal Education level 3). In my first tests I got 95% in maths and 100% in Physics.

I like to think I'm talented in physics and maths, and I am willing to work pretty hard (say on average 8-9 hours a day on weekdays, including lectures).
Do I have potential, or are these qualifications too trival to be able to tell?

I have no clue how hard post-grad level physics is, but I like a challenge :smile:

I think you should put all your attention right now to getting the best undergraduate education that you can. A lot of things can happen between now, and 4 or 5 years later. You will know as you get closer to graduating if you can make it into postgraduate school, or even if you want to.

Zz.

joelio36 said:

I agree with Zz; don't start looking to the post-grad level yet, since you will not even really know whether you want to stay in education until you have at least done a couple of years of undergrad studies. Concentrate on picking your undergraduate university, and then you'll be in a far better position to answer this question. Still, your physics and maths grades are good, and I'm sure undergraduate level will suit you, however university is a completely different ball game. I don't want to put you off, but then again I don't think you should have unrealistic thoughts of what's in store. A levels are quite easy-- the real work starts when you get to university!

1. What is post-grad physics?

Post-grad physics, also known as graduate or advanced physics, is a field of study that focuses on the study of matter and energy at the most fundamental level. It involves advanced theoretical and experimental research in areas such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics.

2. Do I need a specific undergraduate degree to pursue post-grad physics?

While a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field is typically preferred, it is not always necessary to have a specific undergraduate degree to pursue post-grad physics. Many graduate programs will consider applicants with a strong background in math, engineering, or other science fields.

3. What skills and qualities are necessary for success in post-grad physics?

To succeed in post-grad physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and a deep understanding of fundamental physics concepts. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to work independently and in a team. Persistence, curiosity, and a passion for learning are also essential qualities for success in this field.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a post-grad physics program?

The length of a post-grad physics program can vary depending on the specific degree and research focus. Generally, a master's degree in physics takes 2-3 years to complete, while a PhD program can take 4-6 years or longer. The time frame also depends on factors such as the student's progress, the complexity of their research, and any teaching or other responsibilities they may have.

5. What career opportunities are available with a post-grad physics degree?

A post-grad physics degree can open up a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including academia, research laboratories, government agencies, and private companies. Graduates may work as research scientists, professors, data analysts, engineers, or in other roles that require advanced knowledge and understanding of physics principles.