Metal sphere and charges:

Grounding allows for charges to escape into the ground, resulting in a less charged sphere. If a negative point charge was placed at the center, the charge on the outer surface would be -q and the inner surface would be +q. The grounding wire plays a crucial role in balancing the charge distribution on the metal sphere.
Deoxygenation
I'm trying to get a better understanding of this sort of thing. Here is what I know...

A postive point charge "q" is placed at the center of an uncharged metal sphere insulated from the ground. The outside of the sphere is then grounded from the outside. Then the ground wire is removed. A is the inner surface and B is the outer surface of a metal sphere.

Thus, the charge on A is -q and there is no charge on B.

Now my question is that, what does the grounding wire have anything to do with this? Is it the thing that allows charges to escape into the ground making it less charged?

Also, instead of a postive point charge at the center, what if it was negative point charge at the center?, would the charge on B (Outer surface) be, -q then A (inner surface) is +q ?

I'm just trying to think how to properly think about this sort of arrangement as a whole. Thanks for any help :+)

Physics news on Phys.org
After grounding there is no charge on the sphere

I can provide an explanation for the phenomenon described in this scenario. When a positive point charge is placed at the center of an uncharged metal sphere, the charge will distribute itself evenly across the surface of the sphere. This is due to the repulsive force between like charges, causing the positive charge to spread out as far as possible. This results in a negative charge (-q) on the inner surface of the sphere and no charge on the outer surface (B).

The grounding wire in this scenario serves as a way for excess charges to escape from the sphere and into the ground. This is known as grounding or earthing, and it is a common practice in electrical systems to prevent the buildup of excess charges. When the grounding wire is removed, the excess charges will remain on the sphere, resulting in a charge of -q on the inner surface and +q on the outer surface.

If a negative point charge were placed at the center of the sphere instead, the charges would be opposite in sign. This is because the negative charge would attract positive charges to the outer surface of the sphere, resulting in a positive charge on the outer surface and a negative charge on the inner surface.

Overall, the grounding wire plays a crucial role in maintaining the charge distribution on the metal sphere in this scenario. It allows for any excess charges to escape, ensuring that the sphere remains neutral overall. I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of this situation.

What is a metal sphere and charges?

A metal sphere is a three-dimensional object made of metal that is electrically neutral. Charges refer to the presence of positive or negative electrical particles within or on the surface of the sphere.

How does a metal sphere acquire charges?

A metal sphere can acquire charges through various processes such as rubbing, induction, or contact with other charged objects. The movement of electrons from one object to another results in a net charge on the metal sphere.

Can a metal sphere have both positive and negative charges?

Yes, a metal sphere can have both positive and negative charges. This is known as a polarized sphere, where one side of the sphere has a higher concentration of positive charges and the other side has a higher concentration of negative charges.

What happens if a charged object is brought near a metal sphere?

If a charged object is brought near a metal sphere, the charges on the sphere will redistribute themselves to create an equal but opposite charge on the side of the sphere facing the charged object. This is known as induction.

How does the distance between a metal sphere and a charged object affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field between a metal sphere and a charged object is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the strength of the electric field decreases, and vice versa.