Solution to 1st order nonlinear differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about a PhD student in Operations Management seeking help with a differential equation they have encountered while modeling a concept. The equation is of the form y'[t]+A[t]*(y[t])^2+B[t]*y[t]+G[t]=0 and the student is looking for a solution in terms of A[t], B[t], and G[t]. Various suggestions are given, such as using a power series substitution method, considering the equation as a Riccati equation, or using the 'dsolve' function in MATLAB. It is noted that the equation is quite complex and may not have an analytical solution, but a particular solution can be found if one knows a specific solution. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using
gulruozkan
Hi,
I'm a PhD student in Operations Management, and I've stumbled across a differential equation while modeling an OM concept. I was wondering if you could help me with this differential equation, or direct me in a way that would help me solve it.

The equation is:
y'[t]+A[t]*(y[t])^2+B[t]*y[t]+G[t]=0.

As you can see, y, A, B, G are all functions of t. Unfortunately, due to nature of the functions A, B and G, I cannot transform the above equation into y'[t]+(y+J[t])^2=0, which would help me use substitution and solve the above equation. If I can get y[t] solution as a function of A[t}, B[t] and G[t], it would really help me with my research.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Gulru

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm by no means an expert of DE's, but the format of your equation looks like it might lend itself to a power series substitution method - it would be a certain amount of brute force, but since you're interested in applications it might suffice.

lzkelley said:
I'm by no means an expert of DE's, but the format of your equation looks like it might lend itself to a power series substitution method - it would be a certain amount of brute force, but since you're interested in applications it might suffice.

The nonlinearity in the problem makes a power series solution very difficult, since you have to multiply series together for the y^2 term. It would really only be plausible if you were sure you could neglect terms and retained only a few terms in the series.

Anywho, fortunately you probably don't quite need to resort to that yet, as this equation is of the form of a Riccati equation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riccati_equation

hello dear.

Ur problem seems to be a non linear homogeneous equation.

Well the 'dsolve' function in MATLAB usually can solve such equations analytically.

Ive tried to solve an example of your equation and here is the result:

you might, hopefully, solve yours in a similar way.

Hoping that the below will be of use:

dsolve('Df =(cos(t)*(sin(t))^2 + (2*sin(t)*exp(t))+ 2*cos(2*t))','f(0)=0')

ans =

1/4*sin(t)-1/12*sin(3*t)-exp(t)*cos(t)+sin(t)*exp(t)+sin(2*t)+1

Drishtysingh

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the replies, got to work around the problem with a less complicated model, but your replies have been very helpful for solving other problems.

gulruozkan said:
Thanks a lot for the replies, got to work around the problem with a less complicated model, but your replies have been very helpful for solving other problems.

It does not get less complicated than this in DE.. you are lucky to even have an analytical solution

gulruozkan said:
Hi,
The equation is:

Could you set the problem more completely ? domain, initial condition , ... where are they ?

The Riccati equation in general form can not be solved. But if you know one particular solution to this ODE, you then can obtain its general solution.

If you consider the functions A,B,G as arbitrary functions, then you can rewrite the ODE in following equivalent form (it's Maple kode)

diff(y(t),t)+A(t)*y(t)^2+B(t)*y(t)-diff(g(t),t)-A(t)*g(t)^2-B(t)*g(t) = 0

that is here G(t)=-diff(g(t),t)-A(t)*g(t)^2-B(t)*g(t)

where now g is a new arbitrary function, then

particular solution is y(t)=g(t) and the general solution (with new arbitrary functions A,B,g) is

y(t) = g(t)+exp(Int(-2*A(t)*g(t)-B(t),t))/(Int(exp(Int(-2*A(t)*g(t)-B(t),t))*A(t),t)+_C1)

kosovtsov said:
The Riccati equation in general form can not be solved. But if you know one particular solution to this ODE, you then can obtain its general solution.

If you consider the functions A,B,G as arbitrary functions, then you can rewrite the ODE in following equivalent form (it's Maple kode)

diff(y(t),t)+A(t)*y(t)^2+B(t)*y(t)-diff(g(t),t)-A(t)*g(t)^2-B(t)*g(t) = 0

that is here G(t)=-diff(g(t),t)-A(t)*g(t)^2-B(t)*g(t)

where now g is a new arbitrary function, then

particular solution is y(t)=g(t) and the general solution (with new arbitrary functions A,B,g) is

y(t) = g(t)+exp(Int(-2*A(t)*g(t)-B(t),t))/(Int(exp(Int(-2*A(t)*g(t)-B(t),t))*A(t),t)+_C1)

I see what you're saying -- and you can also repeat this process and provide a sort of superposition of these solutions, for example:

For any solution, [tex]v_0[/tex], of the Ricatti equation

[tex]v^{\prime } + v^2 + \Psi = 0[/tex]

we can show, through differentiation, that there will always be another
solution of ther form

[tex]
v_1 = v_0 + \frac{e^{-2\int{v_0 dt}}}
{\int{e^{-2\int{v_0 dt}} dt}}
[/tex]

We can now extend this process to an infinite number of solutions, namely,

[tex]v_{j+1} = v_j + \frac{e^{-2\int{v_j dt}}}
{\int{e^{-2\int{v_j dt}} dt}}
[/tex]

Now, it would be helpful to provide a sort of superposition of all these solutions, but
as the Ricatti equation, is non-linear, the principal of superposition does not
directly apply. However, we can easily translate it into a linear equation, namely make the
substitution

[tex]v = \frac{u^{\prime}}{u}
[/tex]

to obtain the second-order (linear) equation,

[tex]u^{\prime \prime} + \Psi u = 0
[/tex]

So, if [tex]u[/tex] may be composed of a superposition of individual solutions, we can then re-translate
this superposition back to the original Ricatti equation. If we have a solution
of the above of

[tex]
u = \sum_j \alpha_j u_j
[/tex]

we can use [tex]v = u^{\prime}/u[/tex] to express it in terms of [tex]v[/tex],

[tex]
u = \sum_j \alpha_j e^{\int{ v_j dt}}
[/tex]

hence we can give a solution of the Ricatti as a superposition of solutions as

[tex]
v = \frac{u^{\prime}}{u} = \frac{d}{dt} \ln{\sum_j \alpha_j e^{\int{ v_j dt}}}
[/tex]

where [tex]v_0[/tex] is the one known solution.

hello, all.. I'm very sorry for interupting..

Does anyone can help me to solve this second order non linear ODE:

y'' + (2/x)(y') - (1/2y)(y')(y') = K,

y' = dy/dx

y'' = dy'/dx

y = y(x)

I've already guess y=Ax^2 satisfy this equation, but I want to solve it analitically..

Please help!
Thank before..

Hi

This is Gayatri. I was searching for a method to solve nonlinear differential equations when I came across this thread.

I am stuck with one of the nonlinear differential equations which I have not been able to solve analytically or numerically.It will be of great help if someone can help me in this regard.

The equation which I have is :
y'[x]^2 == (y[x]^2 - c^2) - ((y[x]^2*p^2)*(y[x]^2 - 2*c^2))

Here p and c are constants. The boundary conditions are
y[0]=x0^2
y[L]=c^2

Some one please help me with this solution..

Thanks a lot in advance.

Gayatri

hello all,
i'm a master student,my major is physics..i have problem in solving a non-linear Riccati differential equation.how can i solve it?
w^2-dw/dr=A(V1-V2)+B+C(V1+V2)
please help me,
thanks,
sahar

Hi,

if the right side of equ is constant,
you can solve it easily
w = k Tan[k (r+c)]

where
k = Sqrt[A(V1-V2)+B+C(V1+V2)]
and
c is the constant of integration what is determined from initial conditions

Bye,

hi i am phd student in physics,i am finding difficult to solve the first ordre nonlinear differential equation as dy/dx = y^2 - 2x^2 - xc /(c - x)y please give me some tips in this regard

gulruozkan said:
Hi,
I'm a PhD student in Operations Management, and I've stumbled across a differential equation while modeling an OM concept. I was wondering if you could help me with this differential equation, or direct me in a way that would help me solve it.

The equation is:

As you can see, y, A, B, G are all functions of t. Unfortunately, due to nature of the functions A, B and G, I cannot transform the above equation into y'[t]+(y+J[t])^2=0, which would help me use substitution and solve the above equation. If I can get y[t] solution as a function of A[t}, B[t] and G[t], it would really help me with my research.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Gulru

HI !

The Riccati ODE can be transformed to a linear ODE, even without knowing a particular solution (see in attachment)

Attachments

• Riccati ODE.JPG
    Riccati ODE.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 481

1. What is a first order nonlinear differential equation?

A first order nonlinear differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivative. Nonlinear means that the equation is not a straight line, and it may involve powers, products, or other nonlinear functions of the unknown function.

2. How do you solve a first order nonlinear differential equation?

There is no single method for solving all first order nonlinear differential equations. However, there are some techniques that can be applied depending on the specific form of the equation. These may include separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor.

3. What is an initial value problem for a first order nonlinear differential equation?

An initial value problem for a first order nonlinear differential equation is a specific type of problem in which the value of the unknown function and its derivative are known at a specific point. The goal is to find the function that satisfies the differential equation and the given initial values.

4. Can a first order nonlinear differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a first order nonlinear differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the equation may have different initial conditions or constants that result in different solutions. Additionally, some nonlinear equations may have more than one solution for a given set of initial conditions.

5. What is the importance of solving first order nonlinear differential equations?

Solving first order nonlinear differential equations is important in many fields of science and engineering. These equations can be used to model a variety of real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. Finding the solution to these equations allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of these systems.