Grounding in Lab: ESD Protection Qs

In summary, it's not necessary to have a separate ground for the ESD mat, just make sure your wrist strap+bench mat+floor pad are connected together. If you have an insulation tester or even an ohm meter it's worth checking the grounds of sockets in newly built labs are correctly earthed.
fidel
Hi all. We're moving to a new lab and I need to have a reliable ground for ESD protection, e.g. connecting the ESD mat safely. My questions are: can I just use the ground in the power outlet, or I need to request a different ground? Do I need to connect a resistor between the mat and the ground?

Engineering news on Phys.org
fidel said:
Hi all. We're moving to a new lab and I need to have a reliable ground for ESD protection, e.g. connecting the ESD mat safely. My questions are: can I just use the ground in the power outlet, or I need to request a different ground? Do I need to connect a resistor between the mat and the ground?

The mat should come with grounding instructions. Usually there will be a built-in resistor at the connection point, but you should check. You want a large value resistor (few hundred kOhm, I would think) to limit the current in the event of an electrocution hazard from equipment located above the mat.

The ground in an AC Mains socket should serve the purpose, once you've located the current limiting resistor.

You can buy special plugs that only have an Earth pin, contain a built in resistor and have the press-stud connector for a ground mat.

It's not especially important that the mat is grounded, just that your, wrist strap+bench mat+floor pad are connected together.
If you have an insulation tester or even an ohm meter it's worth checking the grounds of sockets in newly built labs are correctly earthed - it's amazing how many aren't, or have live/neutral swapped etc.

Well, to check the ground of the socket with an ohm meter, one probe to the "ground", how about another?

Water pipe, ground outlet in another socket or if you are on the ground floor in a flower bed outside.

Got it! Thank you.

The make a special plug for testing outlets.
Should be < $10 at almost any hardware store.
Validates power, ground, reversed wiring, and open connections.

1. What is grounding in a laboratory?

Grounding in a laboratory refers to the process of establishing a connection between an electrical device or equipment and the earth or a conductive surface to prevent the build-up of static electricity.

2. Why is grounding important in a laboratory?

Grounding is important in a laboratory because it helps to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) which can damage sensitive electronic components and equipment. It also protects personnel from potential electric shocks.

3. How do I ground myself in a laboratory?

To ground yourself in a laboratory, you can use a grounding strap or heel strap that is connected to a grounding point. You can also stand on a conductive floor mat or use an ESD wrist strap connected to a grounding point.

4. What is an ESD mat and how does it work?

An ESD mat is a special type of mat that is designed to dissipate static electricity. It is made from a conductive material that allows any static charge on the surface to flow through it and into a grounding point, preventing it from building up and causing damage.

5. Are there any other measures I can take for ESD protection in a laboratory?

Yes, you can also use ESD protective packaging for sensitive electronic components, regularly clean work surfaces and equipment to remove any static charges, and avoid wearing clothing made of synthetic materials that can generate static electricity.