"Understand Motion of Block on Turntable

• Thread starter student 1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turntable
In summary, the conversation discusses a block of mass M placed at a distance R from the center of a turntable rotating at W radians/s. Part A asks to explain the motion of the block on a frictionless surface, while Part B asks for an expression of the coefficient of static friction Us in terms of W, R, and g if the block is ready to slip when the turntable is rotating at W radians/s. The motion of the block is expected to move closer to the edge of the turntable with each rotation. The relevant equations for part B are not yet utilized.
student 1
Turntable ??

Homework Statement

A block of mass M is place a Distance R from the center of a turntable rotating at W radians/sec.
A. If the turntable is a frictionless surface, explain the motion of the block.
B. If the turntable has coefficient of static Friction Us and the block is ready to begin slipping when the turntable is rotating with W radians/sec, find an expression for Us in terms W, R, and g.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What is it talking about explain the motion of block? and I don't even know where to begin with the second part because I don't understand the first. I know the block will begin to slide and eventually fall off the turntable. But I'm not sure what its asking for.

Physics news on Phys.org

For part A, when it asks you to explain the motion of the block, id think that it wants you to describe how the block moves (does it go around with the table? Does it move off in some other direction?) and explain why this motion happens.

It would move closer and closer to the edge of the turntable with each rotation. I understand that, however, I know that's not going to be the right answer unfortunately.

student 1 said:
It would move closer and closer to the edge of the turntable with each rotation. I understand that, however, I know that's not going to be the right answer unfortunately.
For part (A), what force makes the block move?

You haven't done anything yet for part B. In particular, what are the relevant equations? We put those things in the template so you would use them.

1. What is a turntable and how does it work?

A turntable is a rotating platform commonly used for playing vinyl records. It works by spinning the record at a constant speed, allowing a needle to read the grooves and produce sound.

2. How does a block behave when placed on a turntable?

When a block is placed on a turntable, its motion is influenced by both the rotation of the turntable and any external forces acting on the block. The block may slide or roll depending on the friction between the block and the turntable surface.

3. What factors affect the motion of a block on a turntable?

The motion of a block on a turntable is affected by several factors including the speed of rotation, the mass and shape of the block, the surface of the turntable, and any external forces such as gravity or applied forces.

4. How does the motion of a block on a turntable change over time?

As the turntable continues to rotate, the motion of the block may change due to factors such as a decrease in friction, changes in the applied forces, or changes in the speed of rotation. The block may also eventually come to rest if the turntable is turned off.

5. How is the motion of a block on a turntable calculated and predicted?

The motion of a block on a turntable can be calculated and predicted using principles of physics such as Newton's Laws of Motion and the concept of rotational motion. This requires knowledge of the initial conditions, external forces, and the properties of the block and turntable.