Solar Powered Car Interior Ventilator

In summary, The window mount unit solar cell claimed to be able to power an exhaust fan to cool down the car cabin that parked under hot summer sun, but the fan is not powerful enough to drive the heat out of the car effectively. The ideal condition of this setup is to reach equilibrium temperature with outside ambient temp, but this is not possible due to increased entropy level in the car interior. To achieve this, it would take an infinite amount of time and a hell of a lot of airflow.
Astra
I have come across some window mount unit solar cell that power little exhaust fan that claims to coll down the car cabin that parked under hot summer sun.

However since the fan is not powerful enough to drive the heat out of the car effectively, is it enhance it with:
1. larger solar panel (higher output)
2. high flow rate axial fan (to minimize required amperage to power)
3. air temperature sensitive thermostat (to provide continuity when temperature reached a 'set point' say.. 37C)
4. rechargeable battery unit to prevent fan speed fluctuation due to inconsistent solar panel output

SPCIC.jpg

anyway, this is how roughly my idea works. Might be some installation issue with the exhaust fan, but let us just assume that it can be installed and it can drive the hot air from cabin out.

The ideal condition of this setup is try to reach equilibrium temperature with outside ambient temp. However i was told that this is not possible due to increased entropy level in car interior?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't really see why entropy has much to do with anything since its production would be so small it can be neglected. The reason why it can't reach ambient temp is because your cooling it with ambient air. You may be able to get close to ambient but you will never be able to instantaneously remove heat from a surface the same rate as it is absorbed, or not in this case anyway. Let's look at Newtons law of cooling which applies for only convection that is removing the heat not adding it (radiation);

q = hA(Tc-Ta)

where q is the rate of heat transfer, h is the transfer coefficient, A is the surface area, Tc is the car temp, and Ta is the ambient air temp. If you take the limit of Tc/Ta as Tc -> Ta it will converge to 1 but never quite actually reach it in reality. In order to do this it would take an infinite amount of time and a hell of a lot of airflow. While mathematically it is sort of possible, practically it isn't.

Topher925,

Thanks for clearing up the air, so basically i can say that the rate of heat transferred out equal to:

[tex]\dot{}q[/tex]=[tex]\dot{}m[/tex]Cp[tex]\delta[/tex]T

where [tex]\delta[/tex]T is the difference between outside ambient air temp vs heated cabin air temp.

Cp just assume 1.005 since it does not change much.

[tex]\dot{}m[/tex](mass flow rate) obtained from (volume flow rate of exhaust fan) x (air density)

[tex]\dot{}q[/tex]=[tex]\dot{}m[/tex]Cp[tex]\delta[/tex]T = hA(Tc-Ta)

i can assume we can theoretically find the required exhaust fan air flow rate to cool down the car interior temp to its outside ambient temp?

astra :
where can i get about information theoretically to find the required exhaust fan air flow rate? whould you reply to my email? any 1?
wan_teh36@yahoo.com

What is a solar powered car interior ventilator?

A solar powered car interior ventilator is a device that uses solar energy to power a fan that circulates air inside a car. It is typically mounted on the dashboard or window and can help to reduce the temperature inside a car by continuously bringing in fresh air.

How does a solar powered car interior ventilator work?

The solar panel on the device collects sunlight and converts it into electricity, which powers the fan. The fan then sucks in air from outside the car and circulates it inside, creating a cooling effect. Some models also have a built-in battery that can store solar energy for use during cloudy days or at night.

What are the benefits of using a solar powered car interior ventilator?

There are several benefits to using a solar powered car interior ventilator. Firstly, it helps to keep the car cool and comfortable, especially during hot summer days. Secondly, it reduces the need for air conditioning, which can save fuel and reduce emissions. Thirdly, it operates silently and does not use any external power source, making it environmentally friendly and cost-effective.

Can a solar powered car interior ventilator be used in all types of cars?

Yes, most solar powered car interior ventilators are designed to fit in most types of cars, including sedans, SUVs, and trucks. However, it is essential to check the dimensions of the device and your car's dashboard or window to ensure proper fit before purchasing.

Are there any maintenance requirements for a solar powered car interior ventilator?

Generally, solar powered car interior ventilators do not require much maintenance. However, it is recommended to clean the solar panel periodically to ensure optimal performance. Additionally, some models may have replaceable filters that need to be changed regularly to maintain clean air circulation inside the car.