Which has highest density/boiling point: neon 20 or 22. Please help

• Thread starter tonto995566
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neon Point
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in density and boiling points of pure samples of neon, specifically neon 20 and neon 22. The conversation concludes that neon 22 has a higher density due to its heavier nucleus and therefore may also have a higher boiling point due to its resistance to forces. However, clarification or correction is welcomed.
tonto995566

Homework Statement

Pure samples of neon have different densitys and boiling points

b)which has highest density: neon 20 or 22

attempt at answer

I believe that the highest density would be neon 22, infact I am almost sure (lmao if i am wrong :P) I am not so sure about highest boiling point however neon 22 also seems like the logical answer to this as there is more neutrons however i am confused because i am sure i should use both of them :O

please can someone give an answer and explain it :D. This would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Density is simply mass per unit volume, e.g. kg/m3 or gm/cm3. The nucleus of Ne-22 is approximately 2 amu heavier than the nucleus of Ne-20.

A more massive object offers more resistance to forces/acceleration. What implication might that have for a boiling point?

So if that's the case then if more resistance is put up by the neon 22 then it would have the highest boiling point also as it would take more heat for the resistance to be overcome :D. Please feel free to correct if I'm wrong :P

Thankyou very much mate :D

apreciate it, Tonto :D

1. What is density and boiling point?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of a substance. Boiling point is the temperature at which a substance changes from a liquid to a gas.

2. How do you determine the density and boiling point of a substance?

Density can be determined by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. Boiling point can be measured by heating the substance and recording the temperature at which it changes from a liquid to a gas.

3. What is the difference between neon 20 and neon 22?

Neon 20 and neon 22 are both isotopes of the element neon. The number represents the sum of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of the atom. Neon 20 has 10 protons and 10 neutrons, while neon 22 has 10 protons and 12 neutrons.

4. Which is more dense, neon 20 or neon 22?

Neon 22 has a higher density than neon 20. This is because it has a greater number of particles (protons and neutrons) in its nucleus, making it more compact.

5. Does neon 20 or neon 22 have a higher boiling point?

Neon 22 has a slightly higher boiling point than neon 20. This is because the extra neutrons in neon 22 make its nucleus slightly heavier, requiring more energy to break the intermolecular forces and transition from a liquid to a gas state.