If you can answer this question, youare the smartest person in the wold

• Thread starter shadowman
  • Start date
In summary, a bumblebee is able to fly by using an optical illusion maker between its eyes that allows it to create lift.
shadowman
Can anyone explain to me exactly HOW a bumblebee is able to fly? I have studied it, and it is scientifically impossible for it to fly because of the weight of its body far surpasses the ablilty of its wings to cary that load. Do your own research and give me your findings, but I am sure this is a dificult cunundrum. thanks. :surprise:

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't, it has an optical illusions maker right between its eyes.
(Actually a bumblebee is a tiny snake, that's why it hurts like hell when it bites you)

shadowman said:
Can anyone explain to me exactly HOW a bumblebee is able to fly? I have studied it, and it is scientifically impossible for it to fly because of the weight of its body far surpasses the ablilty of its wings to cary that load. Do your own research and give me your findings, but I am sure this is a dificult cunundrum. thanks. :surprise:

Actually, the claim that a bumblebee cannot fly is based on a FIXED WING model. The side and shape of the bumblebee wing when compared to the body weight does not produce enough of a lift. However, a bumblebee does NOT just fly with a fixed wing. High speed video photography has shown that a bumblebee flaps its wing in some sort of a Figure 8 pattern [someone in Biology can correct me here if I'm wrong]. This is a much more complex mechanism that can add extra lift because the wing is cutting through the air faster and with added downward stroke.

So what do I win as the "smartest" ass... er... person in the world?

Zz.

http://www.engineering.cornell.edu/engrMagazine/magazine.cfm?issue=SUMMER2002&page_number=1&section=feature2

Last edited:
yes, not only do you win the smart ass award, you win me the answer to my teacher's question... by the way, what do you think of light propulsion? feasible or not...just out of curiosity...

thank you for your insightful and completely scientific answer to my question.

shadowman said:
... by the way, what do you think of light propulsion? ...

I like it. :uhh: I think it's nice.

Sorry 'bout that.

What are you referring to by "light propulsion." Do you mean like "propelling a spaceship by firing light out of its engines"? Seems like a horrendous waste of energy to me.

shadowman: All right, sorry about the dumb answer
(Guess I'm not the smartest guy in the world, after all)

If you're interested in the flight of insects in general, there was a while back in the journal "Nature" a long article on the flight mechanisms used by the butterfly
"Vanessa atlantis"
(It's called the "Admiral butterfly" in Norwegian, don't know the English name, though)
Unfortunately, I can't remember which issue it appeared..

I have always fun is a particularly fascinating field of study. As I understand it, will easily be not only reduced drag with their figure eight pattern, but my coming together at the top of a stroke I believe they also generate a vortex directly above the bee itself. In this way, the bee decreases air pressure not only above the wing, but along the top side of its entire body generating an additional lift.

Regarding "light propulsion"; I think that it is vastly superior to heavy propulsion for most applications.:biggrin:

I think you're talking about the use of lasers for launching ships into space, right? It appears to have genuine potential, bvut I think a big steam catapult like on an aircraft carrier would be cheaper and more reliable.

There was a physics problem about light propulsion in my physics book. If an astronaut weighing 100 kg fired a 1 kw laser away from him, how long would it take him to move 20 meters? I don't recall the answer exactly, but it was around 10 hours.

If instead he threw a show lace, he would get there in only two hours or so :P

What does it mean to be the smartest person in the world?

Being the smartest person in the world means having a high level of intelligence, knowledge, and understanding in a wide range of subjects. It also involves critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and the capacity to learn and adapt quickly.

Is it possible for someone to be the smartest person in the world?

While it is subjective and difficult to measure, it is possible for someone to be considered the smartest person in the world. However, intelligence is not a fixed trait and can change over time, so someone who is considered the smartest person in the world at one point may not be in the future.

What qualities make someone the smartest person in the world?

The qualities that make someone the smartest person in the world include high IQ, exceptional memory, critical thinking skills, creativity, and a deep understanding of various subjects. Additionally, being able to apply knowledge and adapt to new situations also contributes to being the smartest person in the world.

Are there any specific tests or criteria to determine who the smartest person in the world is?

No, there is no definitive test or criteria to determine who the smartest person in the world is. Intelligence is a complex and multifaceted concept, and there is no single measure that can accurately determine someone's intelligence. Various tests and assessments may provide insights into one's intelligence, but they do not provide a definitive answer.

Can someone become the smartest person in the world through hard work and dedication?

While innate intelligence may play a role, hard work and dedication can certainly contribute to someone becoming the smartest person in the world. With continuous learning, critical thinking, and problem-solving, someone can improve their intelligence and potentially become the smartest person in the world.