What are some recommended education journals for educators?

In summary, educators can find valuable resources and ideas in various education journals. These journals can cover a wide range of topics, from applied educational approaches to more theoretical and research-based studies. Some recommended journals in the field include The Journal of Nursing Education, Advances in Health Sciences Education, and publications from the National Science Teacher's Association. Additionally, the American Journal Of Physics and The Physics Teacher occasionally publish issues on education, while the Physical Review Special Topics - Physics Education Research focuses solely on this topic. Overall, educators should take advantage of these resources to stay current and informed in their field.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I thought it might be good to start a thread on journals that educators could use as resources to learn more about current ideas in education research. Well, okay, I thought mostly someone else might be able to offer some pointers toward well-respected journals in the field. We probably all know where to find scientific journals relevant to our field, but education journals might be a bit more of an unknown.

Perhaps if there are ones that are a bit more "applied" in terms of using new educational approaches toward science, math, engineering, or health professions teaching, those might be good for our audience here. Or, just some good, solid, educational psychology type sources that would be geared toward higher education? I find plenty on early childhood and adolescent education, but haven't yet met with success trying to find things addressing college-aged students. I'm sure they must be out there, I just don't know where to start looking for them apparently.

Just as an example, I recently found The Journal of Nursing Education. While the articles are relevant specifically to my interests in teaching nursing students, they seem a bit behind the times in terms of educational theory and very weak on solid measures of outcome (for example, one article basically was just about how much the students liked a particular teaching approach, and never did any comparisons of test scores or any other sort of objective measures that might indicate it was actually effective). So, while that might be a good place to publish outcomes of applying various teaching techniques to the nursing curriculum, I don't think it's a particularly good place to look to see what more novel ideas are around that might work better but still be unknown to those who are actually out in the classrooms.

Science news on Phys.org
Every once in a while the American Journal Of Physics publishes an issue on education. The monthly magazine/journal The Physics Teacher is dedicated to that issue also.

http://www.sigcse.org/

ACM's Special Interest Group in Computer Science Education

it's not exactly about physics but I think the fields have certain similarities.

NSTA (National Science Teacher's Association) publishes a series of magazines that target specific education levels and that present a broad range of science activities/classroom strategies often based on educational research.

buffordboy23 said:
Moonbear,

There are lots of education journals out there. I did a brief search on my university's server. Here is one that may interest you.

Advances in Health Sciences Education
http://www.springer.com/education/journal/10459

Thanks. I know there are a lot, but like any field, some journals are better than others. I'm kind of asking for some help sorting the wheat from the chaff. For example, is there an education journal that is a "must read" for everyone doing education research? Somewhat like Science and Nature are for scientists...everyone should know those two journals exist and peruse them every so often to keep current. On the other hand, there are some obscure journals in my field that would show up on a library search, but I'd never recommend to someone trying to learn what's really novel or as examples of strong research in the field.

So, I guess I was hoping for a bit more guidance beyond just pulling up a list of every journal from my library that has "Education" in the title.

I know I'm being vague. I'm just trying to get a handle on this since it's a new field for me to be researching. Basically, I don't want to end up sounding like a crackpot as I develop educational research projects simply for lack of realizing some journals are more hopelessly behind the times or let through weaker studies than others, or overlook a key journal in the field where I would have found out that all my ideas have already been done. And, since I wasn't sure who else around here might read these journals, I figured it would be useful for more generalized responses that could help anyone teaching sciences (if this gets overwhelming, I can always split it by subject later).

Do the NTSA's publications target higher education, or just primary and secondary education? If they have one for higher education, I will look for it.

Moonbear,

Here you go:
http://www.nsta.org/college/?lid=hp

I can't speak for the quality of NSTA's college-level publication, but I found their middle school level series to be extremely helpful during my first few years of teaching. I once spent near a whole day at a university library photocopying activities/learning strategies from their database to use in my classroom.

buffordboy23 said:
Moonbear,

Here you go:
http://www.nsta.org/college/?lid=hp

I can't speak for the quality of NSTA's college-level publication, but I found their middle school level series to be extremely helpful during my first few years of teaching. I once spent near a whole day at a university library photocopying activities/learning strategies from their database to use in my classroom.

Thanks! And I found that Journal of Health Sciences Education to be a great resource. I've been practically devouring articles from that journal this week. They seem to be much better controlled studies than some of the other journals I've come across, and certainly applicable to my interests. Much appreciated!

Dr Transport said:
Every once in a while the American Journal Of Physics publishes an issue on education. The monthly magazine/journal The Physics Teacher is dedicated to that issue also.

Some links:

American Journal of Physics
http://scitation.aip.org/ajp/

Physics Teacher
http://scitation.aip.org/tpt/

Physical Review Special Topics - Physics Education Research
http://prst-per.aps.org/

Here's a list I stumbled upon (but have not gone through):
http://homepages.wmich.edu/~rudged/journals.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the importance of publishing in a good education journal?

Publishing in a good education journal allows for the dissemination of research and findings to a wider audience, including other scientists, educators, and policymakers. It also adds credibility to the study and can potentially lead to future collaborations and opportunities.

2. How do I know if a journal is considered a "good" education journal?

A good education journal is typically peer-reviewed, meaning that the articles are evaluated and approved by a panel of experts in the field. It should also have a high impact factor, which measures the average number of citations to articles published in that journal. Additionally, good education journals often have a rigorous submission and review process and are well-respected within the academic community.

3. Can I publish in multiple education journals?

Yes, it is possible to publish the same study or findings in multiple education journals. However, it is important to disclose this information to the editors and ensure that there is no conflict of interest or plagiarism involved.

4. How can I increase the chances of my paper being accepted in a good education journal?

To increase the chances of acceptance, it is important to carefully follow the submission guidelines and ensure that your paper is well-written and presents strong, original research. It can also be helpful to seek feedback from colleagues or mentors before submitting and to revise and edit your paper thoroughly.

5. Are open-access education journals considered "good" journals?

Open-access education journals, which make their articles freely available to the public, can be considered good journals if they meet the other criteria mentioned, such as being peer-reviewed and having a high impact factor. However, it is important to thoroughly research the reputation and credibility of the journal before submitting your work.