Massless strings/pulleys: Finding the magnitude of the Force

In summary, the problem involves a massless string running around two massless, frictionless pulleys with an object of mass 10.3 kg hanging from one pulley. A force F is being exerted on the free end of the string. The question is asking for the magnitude of the force F needed to lift the object at a constant speed. The figure shows the path of the string and the positions of the pulleys and mass. The equation (1/2) m * v^2 is not applicable in this case as it deals with work and energy, while the problem requires an equation involving force, mass, and acceleration.
Graphire

Homework Statement

A massless string runs around two massless, frictionless pulleys, as shown in the figure below. An object with mass m = 10.3 kg hangs from one pulley. A force F is exerted on the free end of the string. What is the magnitude of the force F if the object is lifted at a constant speed?

Homework Equations

I'm guessing around 1/2m x v^2 but I really don't have a clue...

The Attempt at a Solution

Well so far I got that the force goes in the y-axis so that he factors involving the y-axis is the weight and tension. Since the question does not give me tension and I really don't know what formula to use to figure it out I'm quite lost.

There's also a diagram but I don't know how to put it up here...

Physics news on Phys.org
Graphire said:

Homework Statement

A massless string runs around two massless, frictionless pulleys, as shown in the figure below. An object with mass m = 10.3 kg hangs from one pulley. A force F is exerted on the free end of the string. What is the magnitude of the force F if the object is lifted at a constant speed?

Homework Equations

I'm guessing around 1/2m x v^2 but I really don't have a clue...

The Attempt at a Solution

Well so far I got that the force goes in the y-axis so that he factors involving the y-axis is the weight and tension. Since the question does not give me tension and I really don't know what formula to use to figure it out I'm quite lost.

There's also a diagram but I don't know how to put it up here...

Can you try to describe the figure? Give the path of the string and position of the pulleys and mass, if you can.

Also, (1/2) m * v2 will give you units of work or energy. It sounds more like you need an equation dealing with force, mass, and acceleration.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and principles that apply. In this case, we are dealing with a system of massless strings and pulleys, which means that the tension in the string is the same on both sides of the pulley and the string has no mass. This also means that the forces acting on the pulley are balanced, so the net force on the object must be equal to zero in order for it to be lifted at a constant speed.

Using Newton's second law, we can write the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object. Since the object is being lifted at a constant speed, its acceleration is zero, and therefore the net force must also be zero.

In this case, the only forces acting on the object are its weight (mg) and the tension in the string (T). Since the net force is zero, we can set up the equation mg-T=0. Solving for T, we get T=mg. This means that the magnitude of the force F must also be equal to mg.

Therefore, the magnitude of the force F is equal to the weight of the object, which in this case is 10.3 kg multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), giving us a force of approximately 101 N.

1. What is a massless string or pulley?

A massless string or pulley is an idealized object in physics that has no mass and therefore does not experience any weight or gravitational force. It is often used in theoretical and mathematical calculations to simplify problems and make them easier to solve.

2. How do you find the magnitude of the force in a massless string or pulley system?

The magnitude of the force in a massless string or pulley system can be found by applying Newton's laws of motion. The force acting on the string or pulley is equal to the tension in the string, which can be calculated using the equations of motion and the forces acting on the system.

3. Can a string or pulley truly be massless?

No, in reality all objects have some mass. The concept of a massless string or pulley is a theoretical construct used in physics to simplify calculations and solve problems. However, it is not physically possible for an object to have zero mass.

4. How does the mass of a string or pulley affect the forces in a system?

The mass of a string or pulley does not affect the forces in a system, as long as it is small in comparison to the other masses in the system. If the mass of the string or pulley is significant, it can be taken into account in the calculations, but in most cases it can be considered negligible.

5. Can the magnitude of the force in a massless string or pulley system ever be greater than the applied force?

No, the magnitude of the force in a massless string or pulley system will always be equal to or less than the applied force. This is because the tension in the string can never be greater than the force applied to it, as the string is not able to support any weight or exert any force on its own.