Bush Launches Last Minute Deregulation Push

• News
  • Thread starter LightbulbSun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Push
In summary, President Bush is pushing for a last-minute deregulation effort before leaving office in January. These regulations would weaken government rules and constraints on private industry, including power plants, mines, and farms. They would also ease controls on emissions, relax drinking-water standards, and lift a key restriction on mountaintop coal mining. This could make it difficult for Bush's successor to undo these actions. This pattern of last-minute changes by outgoing administrations has been seen before and has even led to the establishment of judicial review by the Supreme Court.
LightbulbSun
Bush launches last-minute deregulation push

The White House is working to enact a wide array of federal regulations, many of which would weaken government rules aimed at protecting consumers and the environment, before President Bush leaves office in January.

The new rules would be among the most controversial deregulatory steps of the Bush era and could be difficult for his successor to undo. Some would ease or lift constraints on private industry, including power plants, mines and farms.

Those and other regulations would help clear obstacles to some commercial ocean-fishing activities, ease controls on emissions of pollutants that contribute to global warming, relax drinking-water standards and lift a key restriction on mountaintop coal mining. Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27466701/

The article is now unavailable at MSNBC, and I couldn't find it at the Washington Post. Any confirmation on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
LightbulbSun said:
The article is now unavailable at MSNBC, and I couldn't find it at the Washington Post. Any confirmation on this?

There are 1000's of references to this. But all that I checked go back to the same link that has been removed. Hence, I would be careful in spreading this around since MSNBC has removed the link, there may be something less than newsworthy in this. (EDIT: I see now your link to Reuters, but I'm not sure yet why MSNBC dropped it. And Reuters may yet be based on it.)

Certainly there are germs of truth in what Clinton did in departing days and Bush quickly undid. I would expect the same kind of thing will happen this time as well if the Democrats should win. The party in power will likely always try to slip stuff in at the last minute.

In fact it is the stuff of which our Judicial process has defined itself.

Specifically in Madison v. Marbury it was exactly this kind of transitional action that precipitated the recognition of the Supreme Court's charter for judicial review.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marbury_v._Madison

1. What is "Bush Launches Last Minute Deregulation Push"?

"Bush Launches Last Minute Deregulation Push" refers to the final efforts of the administration of former US President George W. Bush to push through a series of deregulatory measures before leaving office in January 2009.

2. Why did Bush launch this deregulation push?

Bush and his administration believed that deregulation would stimulate economic growth and create jobs. They also saw it as a way to reduce government interference in businesses and industries.

3. What types of regulations were targeted in this push?

The push primarily targeted environmental regulations, including those related to air and water pollution, as well as labor and workplace safety regulations.

4. Did Bush's deregulation push have any lasting effects?

Yes, some of the deregulatory measures put in place during this time are still in effect today. For example, the Stream Protection Rule, which was repealed in 2017, was initially implemented during this push.

5. What was the response to Bush's deregulation push?

The response was mixed. Supporters of the push saw it as a necessary move to boost the economy, while critics argued that it would harm the environment and workers' rights. Some also criticized the rushed and last-minute nature of the push.