What does a multi-core processor mean?

In summary: With several sockets, you'd have more throughput IF each processor had its own RAM, which isn't generally the case in PC nor servers.Few servers have been built with one RAM per processor. And then, communication between them needs special channels. Also, Windows isn't optimised for this architecture (but other OS certainly are!). Newer Windows (Server 2k8 I think) are designed for it.Less throughput? Are you sure? I'm sure there's always room for another processor, especially when concerning servers. If nothing else, one single processor can do all the scheduling while other processors can provide whatever individual service they are meant to do.
michinobu
I've heard it compared to, over-and-over again, stated by people that having a dual-core processor is the same as having two processors and the same as the cores increase. But, I doubt this. Besides the obvious cache issue, how different is a 2.0 dual-core CPU from having two 1.0 uni-core CPU's?

Computer science news on Phys.org
michinobu said:
I've heard it compared to, over-and-over again, stated by people that having a dual-core processor is the same as having two processors and the same as the cores increase. But, I doubt this. Besides the obvious cache issue, how different is a 2.0 dual-core CPU from having two 1.0 uni-core CPU's?

Some multicore processors have shared caches, some have different caches for each core.

Aside from cache, the main difference is that two cores can pass information between themselves faster than two independent processors could.

With a multicore CPU you're sharing one socket across multiple cores which may mean less throughput.

Less throughput...

With several sockets, you'd have more throughput IF each processor had its own RAM, which isn't generally the case in PC nor servers.

Few servers have been built with one RAM per processor. And then, communication between them needs special channels. Also, Windows isn't optimised for this architecture (but other OS certainly are!). Newer Windows (Server 2k8 I think) are designed for it.

Enthalpy said:
Less throughput...

With several sockets, you'd have more throughput IF each processor had its own RAM, which isn't generally the case in PC nor servers.

Few servers have been built with one RAM per processor. And then, communication between them needs special channels. Also, Windows isn't optimised for this architecture (but other OS certainly are!). Newer Windows (Server 2k8 I think) are designed for it.

Less throughput? Are you sure? I'm sure there's always room for another processor, especially when concerning servers. If nothing else, one single processor can do all the scheduling while other processors can provide whatever individual service they are meant to do.

BUT, this isn't what I was asking about. I am not talking about actual multiple, stand-alone processors, but rather those multicore processors. What's the difference between those and the other things?

CRGreathouse said:
Some multicore processors have shared caches, some have different caches for each core.

Aside from cache, the main difference is that two cores can pass information between themselves faster than two independent processors could.

So, it sounds more like it's ideal for multi-threading since threads oftentimes communicate with each other within the same process? If that is the case, how does this differ from Hyperthreading? I imagine that that a core is more closer to a stand-alone processor than a virtual processor implemented in a Hyperthreaded cpu. To what extent do they differ?

Does this improve throughput with two complete processes which communicate with each other (likely working toward the same goal) even while having their own individual global variables, heap, and other process-related data?

What does a multi-core processor mean?

A multi-core processor is a type of central processing unit (CPU) that contains multiple independent processing units, also known as cores, on a single integrated circuit (IC). This allows the processor to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, increasing its overall speed and efficiency.

How does a multi-core processor differ from a single-core processor?

A single-core processor has only one processing unit, while a multi-core processor has two or more. This means that a multi-core processor can handle more tasks at once, making it faster and more efficient.

What are the benefits of a multi-core processor?

A multi-core processor offers several benefits, including improved performance and efficiency, better multitasking capabilities, and reduced power consumption. It also allows for more complex and demanding tasks to be performed, such as video editing and gaming.

Do all programs and applications take advantage of multi-core processors?

No, not all programs and applications are designed to take advantage of multi-core processors. Some programs are only designed to run on a single core, while others may be optimized for multi-core processing.

Can a multi-core processor improve the performance of my computer?

Yes, a multi-core processor can significantly improve the performance of your computer, especially when running multiple programs simultaneously. It can also help with tasks that require a lot of processing power, such as video rendering and gaming.