Find the period of the resulting swings of this pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses a rocket accelerating upward and a pendulum consisting of a ball hanging from a wire. The amplitude and period of the pendulum's swings are calculated using equations and the acceleration of the rocket is discussed in relation to the acceleration of gravity. The formula for the period is corrected to T=2*pi*sqrt(L/g).
anubis01

Homework Statement

A rocket is accelerating upward at 3.70 m/s^2 from the launchpad on the earth. Inside a small 1.50-Kg ball hangs from the ceiling by a light 1.10m wire.

a)If the ball is displaced 8.50 degrees from the vertical and released, find the amplitude of the resulting swings of this pendulum

b)If the ball is displaced 8.50 degrees from the vertical and released, find the period of the resulting swings of this pendulum

Homework Equations

x=A(coswt+θ)
-mgθ=-mgx/L
θL=x
w=sqrt(g/L)
T=2pi sqrt(g/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

okay first we convert θ into radians whihc is 0.1484 rads
the new g' of the rocket is g-arocket=9.8-3.7=6.1 m/s^2
θL=x 0.1484*1.1=0.16324m
w=sqrt(g/L)=sqrt(6.1/1.1)=2.3549
x=A(coswt+θ)
A=x/cos(wt+θ) now taking t for 0 (this is probably the part where I made my mistake)
A=0.16324/cos(0+0.1484)=0.1148 for the amplitude

b)
T=2pi sqrt(g/L)
T=2pi sqrt(6.1/1.1)=2.67s

In both cases my answers are wrong, if anyone could give me a pointer I would appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org

the formula for the period is wrong, it should be

T=2*pi*sqrt(L/g)

As for the acceleration, what would it feel like if you were launched in the space shuttle, would you feel lighter or heavier as the rocket was accelerating upwards? In other words how does the acceleration of the rocket combine with the acceleration by gravity?

ah that's were I went wrong, Okay I now figured out b but I'm still having difficulty with part a. I'm not sure what to use for my t value.

1. What is the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for one full swing, from one end to the other and back again.

2. How do you calculate the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π √(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the period of a pendulum be changed?

Yes, the period of a pendulum can be changed by altering the length of the pendulum or the mass of the pendulum bob. It can also be affected by changing the acceleration due to gravity, such as by moving the pendulum to a different location on Earth.

5. Why is the period of a pendulum important?

The period of a pendulum is important because it is a fundamental property of pendulums and is used in various applications, such as timekeeping devices and scientific experiments. It also helps us understand the relationship between gravity, mass, and length in a pendulum system.