What's the widest ratio range for a CVT?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a human powered vehicle with a CVT in its drive line. The person is seeking information on the widest range that a normal CVT can have, as their vehicle needs to be light and cheap. They mention the Nuvinci with a range of .5 under to 1.75 over, but are looking for a wider range. The other person explains that most CVT designs are not limited in gear ratio and that the Comet CVT 790 and 770 series have pulley ratios of .54:1 and 3.38:1 and .76:1 and 3.95:1 respectively. They also mention that Comet CVTs are relatively inexpensive and small, making them suitable
f_nosferatu
Hi!

I'm designing a human powered vehicle and I need to use a CVT (Continuously variable transmission) in its drive line. I want to know the widest range that the speed ratio of a normal CVT (One that's not very big, heavy, or expensive because our vehicle needs to be as light and cheap as possible) could fall in. Can anyone help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Nuvinci is .5 under to 1.75 over. With the addition of some common concepts that can be extended dramatically. How much range are you after?

Last edited:
The more the merrier! Actually, my design so far is based on a CVT with a ratio varying from 1/3 to 3, but I don't know if this is practical or not, and I can still use a range wider than that.

Most CVT designs are not limited in a gear ratio based on their principle of operation. Like most transmissions, your gear ratio range is only limited by what it is designed for.

BTW, CVTs are by their nature big, expensive, and heavy. You can also add high maintenance and less reliable to that list as well.

This is off a flier from Quality Drive Systems concerning the Comet CVT 790 series

Pulley Ratios:
High: .54:1
Low: 3.38:1

and for 770 series
Pulley Ratios:
High: .76:1
Low: 3.95:1

Hope this is the info you're looking for.

Comet CVTs are relatively inexpensive and small, it's what we use for our mini-baja applications.

1. What is a CVT?

A CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) is a type of transmission that allows for a smooth and seamless range of gear ratios, as opposed to traditional transmissions that have a set number of gears.

2. How does a CVT work?

A CVT uses a system of pulleys and belts or chains to vary the gear ratio continuously, allowing for an infinite number of gear ratios within a certain range. This is achieved by adjusting the width of the pulleys, rather than physically changing gears.

3. What is the widest ratio range for a CVT?

The widest ratio range for a CVT can vary depending on the specific model and design. However, some CVT designs can achieve a ratio range of up to 7:1 or higher.

4. What are the benefits of a wider ratio range for a CVT?

A wider ratio range allows for better fuel efficiency, as the engine can operate at its most efficient speed for longer periods of time. It also provides a smoother driving experience and can improve acceleration.

5. Are there any drawbacks to a wider ratio range for a CVT?

While a wider ratio range can provide many benefits, it can also lead to a loss of power and performance, especially at higher speeds. It can also be more complex and expensive to design and maintain.