Newton's second law net force = mass

In summary: So if acceleration is equal for both objects then the time to cover any given displacement will be shorter with the larger mass.In summary, the statement "Given that the same force acts on particle A and B, If object B covers the same distance in less time than particle A, object B is less massive than object A" is true because a smaller mass will experience greater acceleration at all points, resulting in a shorter time to cover a given distance.
alpha372

Homework Statement

True or false:
"Given that the same force acts on particle A and B, If object B covers the same distance in less time than particle A, object B is less massive than object A"

Homework Equations

net force = mass(acceleration)

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe this is true because f = ma implies that m = f/a

Looking at m = f/a I find a conditional:
If acceleration is large, mass is small.

Looking at a= dv/dt I find another conditional:
If time gets small, acceleration gets large.

Putting these conditionals together in the statement m = f/a, I find the conditional:
As the interval of time decreases, the mass of the particle must decrease (assuming a constant force and distance).

Therefore, I find it safe to conclude that the original statement is true-- The original statement being:
"Given that the same force acts on particle A and B, If object B covers the same distance in less time than particle A, object B is less massive than object A".

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your first observation is sufficient.

Since F is constant then a smaller mass will experience greater acceleration at all points. Since displacement is going to be proportional to acceleration at all time points then displacement is the larger for the larger acceleration.

x = 1/2*a*t2

This is because if object B covers the same distance in less time, it must have a larger acceleration, and therefore a smaller mass according to Newton's second law.

1. What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the more force that is applied to an object, the more it will accelerate, and the heavier the object, the slower it will accelerate.

2. What is the formula for Newton's second law?

The formula for Newton's second law is F = ma, where F represents the net force, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration. This formula can also be written as a = F/m or m = F/a, depending on which variable is being solved for.

3. How does Newton's second law relate to everyday experiences?

Newton's second law can be observed in everyday experiences, such as pushing a shopping cart. The harder you push on the cart (increasing the net force), the faster it will accelerate. Similarly, if you push a heavy cart and a lighter cart with the same force, the lighter cart will accelerate faster due to its lower mass.

4. What is the unit of measurement for force in Newton's second law?

The unit of measurement for force in Newton's second law is Newton (N). One Newton is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram by 1 meter per second squared.

5. How does friction affect Newton's second law?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, and it can affect Newton's second law by decreasing the net force acting on an object. This means that the acceleration of an object will also decrease, as it is inversely proportional to the net force. This is why it can be harder to move heavy objects on rough surfaces, as there is more friction acting against the motion.