Mechanics Statics: Vector Manipulations Problem

In summary, This conversation is about an entry level problem from the second day of class involving vector manipulations. The person asking for help has included the problem and their partial attempt. They were helped by another person who pointed out a mistake in their approach. The original person then solved the problem and thanked the helper.
ur5pointos2sl
This is just an entry level problem from the second day of class. It isn't really dealing with statics but with just vector manipulations. I have included a copy of the problem and a partial attempt. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• work3.jpg
    work3.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 425
  • 7.21y.jpg
    7.21y.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
3d vectors can drive you insane! I think you did a real good job, except that F1z should be a minus 6, not +6. I might have missed something else, but your approach is excellent.

PhanthomJay said:
3d vectors can drive you insane! I think you did a real good job, except that F1z should be a minus 6, not +6. I might have missed something else, but your approach is excellent.

Thank you for your reply. While waiting on my attachments to get approved I actually have solved the problem. I did notice that +6 should've been -6 and also when summing the forces for F3 I needed -cos alpha and -cos gamma. Thanks again.

1. What is statics in mechanics?

Statics in mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It is concerned with the analysis of forces acting on objects and the resulting equilibrium conditions.

2. What are vectors in mechanics statics?

Vectors in mechanics statics are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are used to represent forces, displacements, and other physical quantities in statics problems.

3. How do you solve vector manipulation problems in mechanics statics?

To solve vector manipulation problems in mechanics statics, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object and their corresponding magnitudes and directions. Then, use vector addition and subtraction to find the resultant force and determine the equilibrium conditions.

4. What is the importance of vector manipulation in mechanics statics?

Vector manipulation is essential in mechanics statics because it allows us to analyze forces and their effects on objects. By manipulating vectors, we can determine the equilibrium conditions of an object and predict its behavior under different forces.

5. Can vector manipulation be applied to real-world problems in mechanics statics?

Yes, vector manipulation can be applied to real-world problems in mechanics statics. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve problems related to structures, machines, and other physical systems at rest or in a state of constant motion.