Finding the Vector Equation of a Line at Right Angles: A Homework Challenge

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the vector equation of a line through the point (4,5,5) that meets the line (x-11)/3=(y+8)/1=(z-4)/1 at right angles. The participants discuss using the dot product equation and direction ratios to solve the problem. However, there is some disagreement on the approach and whether the given equation provides enough information.
choob

Homework Statement

Find the vector equation of the line through 4,5,5 that meets (x-11)/3=7+8=z+4 at right angles

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Come on. You must have SOME idea. For example, what does the equation represent? A line, a plane, or what? Try and figure that out first. I'm not totally sure you posted it correctly.

it was a question from a test that i got 0 on, the exact wording is as follows:

find a vector equ ation of the line through the point (4,5,5) that meets the line (x-11)/3=(y+8)/1=(z-4)/1 at right angles

i understand that the dot product of the vector i have to find and of the line given will be equal to zero. other than that, I am completely lost.

i don't know if this makes sense, but i tried to first came up with an expression for the vector i am trying to find

4-(11+3t), 5-(-8+t), 5-(4+t) (starting point of the vector subtract a point on the line)

then using dot product equation, i isolated t to -7/11

is there anything flawed in this logic?

Yeah, I don't think it's quite right. A general point on the line is, fixing z=t. y=t-4 and x=3t+23. i.e. (3t+23,t-4,t). Or did I do that wrong? I would then take the difference between that and (4,5,5) and minimize the distance wrt to t. That would give you two points on the line, yes?

Well, from the given question it is evident that the equation which to be found is of a line. Now, the equation,
[tex]\frac{x-11}{3}=\frac{y+8}{1}=\frac{z-4}{1} [/tex]
directly gives you the direction ratios of the required line, isn't it? What would they be?

it does not give me the vectors to the line...
there are an infinite number of possible normals to the original line

Well, (3,1,1) are the direction ratios! And if this line passes through (4,5,5), substitue it in the general equation,
[tex]
\frac{x-x_1}{a}=\frac{y-y_1}{b}=\frac{z-z_1}{c} [/tex]

where, (a,b,c) are the direction ratios and [tex](x_1,y_1,z_1)[/tex] is the point through which the line passes!

1. What is the formula for finding the intersection point of two lines?

The formula for finding the intersection point of two lines is (x,y) where x = (c2 - c1)/(m1 - m2) and y = m1 * x + c1. Here, m1 and c1 are the slope and y-intercept of the first line, while m2 and c2 are the slope and y-intercept of the second line.

2. How do you determine if two lines intersect?

Two lines intersect if their slopes are different. If the slopes are the same, the lines are parallel and will never intersect. Additionally, if the lines have the same y-intercept, they are the same line and will intersect at all points along that line.

3. Can two lines intersect at more than one point?

No, two lines can only intersect at one point. This is because two lines in a plane cannot have more than one point in common. If two lines have more than one point in common, they are not considered to be distinct lines.

4. How do you find the intersection point of two perpendicular lines?

To find the intersection point of two perpendicular lines, you can use the formula x = (c2 - c1)/(m1 - m2) and y = m1 * x + c1, where m1 and m2 are the slopes of the lines and c1 and c2 are the y-intercepts. However, in the case of perpendicular lines, the slopes are negative reciprocals of each other, so the formula can also be written as x = (c2 - c1)/(1/m1 - 1/m2) and y = m1 * x + c1.

5. Can two lines intersect if they are both vertical or both horizontal?

No, if both lines are vertical or both lines are horizontal, they will never intersect. This is because the slopes of vertical lines are undefined, and the slopes of horizontal lines are zero. Therefore, the lines will never cross each other.