Advanced published papers regarding valid unification theories?

In summary, the article references a Scientific American article which discusses a new model of the continuum which has General Relativity as a solution.
Potential
Questions: Where can I obtain the most advanced published papers regarding valid unification theories? If there are none, which published papers will get me closest when combined in their respective categories?

Comment: It is obvious to me through speculation, physical laws have yet to become discovered which bind everything together in harmonic concert. In my view, these solutions can be discovered when the ability to drill down to the Planck Length occurs. My thinking is, there is another layer of information beyond this smallest conceived measurement that can provide proof of unification. I also have a hunch this minute layer not only separates a vein of high unified energy, but it is expected to be impossible for us to, particle jump, to the other side.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In physics, the Planck length, denoted, is unit of length, equal to about 1.6 × 10-35 meters. It is a base unit in the system of Planck units, the most widely used system of natural units. The Planck length can be defined from three fundamental physical constants: the speed of light in a vacuum (celeritas), Planck's constant, and the gravitational constant. Current theory suggests that 1 Planck length is the smallest distance or size about which anything can be known.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_length

Physics news on Phys.org

Potential said:
Questions: Where can I obtain the most advanced published papers regarding valid unification theories? ...

It depends on how you see the problem of unification. From one perspective the central unification problem is to reconcile quantum theory with our theory of geometry (how geometry is affected by matter and why we ordinarily experience it as almost but not quite the same as the flat geometry of Pythagoras and Euclid.)

In other words, the central unification problem is a quantum theory of what space and time are and how they interact with matter.

At the present, our dominant theory of what space and time are, and how geometry interacts with matter, is 1915 classic General Relativity.

Quantum field theory (QFT) our basic theory of matter has not been put on a GR basis. One way of stating the unification goal I'm talking about is to reach a general relativistic quantum field theory. To construct a new model of spacetime, and to rebuild QFT on that new geometric foundation.

There are several quite different ways of seeing the main unification goal and it would be arrogant and not very bright to pretend that only one is the correct one, or that only one version of the goal subsumes all the others. In any case you can pick up on a variety of different currents just by keeping alert. I will describe one.

You ask about an up-to-date paper. Here is something rather surprising. I think that from one perspective one of the most advanced papers is written for general audience and was published in the Scientific American last year!
http://www.signallake.com/innovation/SelfOrganizingQuantumJul08.pdf

It is called The Self-Organizing Quantum Universe. It's extensively illustrated with graphics that help get the ideas across. Published July 2008. Shows what a new picture of spacetime might turn out to look like. Interesting fractal quality down at Planck length scale. Space no longer 3D at very small scale---dimensionality becomes fractional and declines down to numbers like 2.1 and 1.9, reminiscent of fractals.
Several other approaches to quantum geometry/gravity have also shown signs of this fractal or chaotic behavior of geometry at very small scale. One thinks of seething wormholes, foam, froth, something. Not the regular continuum. Perhaps a Heisenberg uncertain concept of continuum. Anyway a new model of the continuum is emerging from several of these QG approaches. The special thing about this SciAm article is that it reports on a mathematical model of quantum continuum which looks right at large scale.
At large scale it gives a classic solution to General Relativity, one with dark energy, and realistic accelerating expansion as we seem to be detecting today. The socalled De Sitter universe. This is good news, so I guess that is why that team made the Scientific American with their result.

If you want more technical articles, they have links at the end of the SciAm article, and also you can ask. They are easy to get.

Last edited by a moderator:

TY BenTheMan!

TY Marcus!

Marcus...very interesting you mentioned fractal...

Interesting fractal quality down at Planck length scale.

...because, allot of information can be squeezed in a fractal similar to a hologram...

A geometric pattern that is repeated at ever smaller scales to produce irregular shapes and surfaces that cannot be represented by classical geometry. Fractals are used especially in computer modeling of irregular patterns and structures in nature.

French, from Latin frāctus, past participle of frangere, to break. See fraction.

In computer graphics it has been shown that the vast amount of information contained in a natural scene can be compressed very effectively by identifying the basic set of fractals therein together with their rules of construction. When the fractals are reconstructed, a close approximation of the original scene is reproduced.

http://www.answers.com/topic/fractal

1. What is the purpose of publishing advanced papers on valid unification theories?

Publishing advanced papers on valid unification theories serves several purposes. First, it allows scientists to share their research and findings with the wider scientific community, promoting collaboration and further advancements in the field. Second, it allows for peer review and critique, ensuring the quality and validity of the theories presented. Finally, publishing papers on valid unification theories helps to disseminate important scientific knowledge to the general public.

2. What makes a unification theory considered "valid"?

A valid unification theory is one that successfully explains and unifies a wide range of scientific phenomena, often across different disciplines. It must also be supported by strong empirical evidence and be able to make accurate predictions that can be tested and verified through experiments. Additionally, a valid unification theory should be logically consistent and not contradict any established scientific principles.

3. How do scientists determine which unification theories to publish?

Scientists use various criteria to determine which unification theories are worthy of being published. Some key factors include the novelty of the theory, the strength of its supporting evidence, and its potential impact on the field of science. Theoretical frameworks that can be applied to multiple areas of research and have practical applications are often given priority.

4. Can unification theories ever be proven definitively?

Unification theories can never be proven definitively, as science is an ever-evolving field and new evidence may arise that challenges previously accepted theories. However, they can be supported by a significant amount of empirical evidence and have the ability to accurately predict outcomes, making them the most likely explanation for a phenomenon. As new evidence and technologies emerge, unification theories may be refined or replaced by more comprehensive ones.

5. How do published papers on unification theories impact the scientific community?

Published papers on unification theories play a crucial role in advancing scientific knowledge and understanding. They help to shape scientific discourse and establish a foundation for future research. Additionally, they allow for collaboration and exchange of ideas among scientists, leading to further advancements and breakthroughs. Furthermore, these papers can inspire and guide future generations of scientists, serving as a basis for new and innovative theories and experiments.