Adiabatic/Reversible application of external field to Ideal Gas

In summary, the conversation is about a problem from a graduate course in Statistical Mechanics involving reversible/adiabatic processes for a classical ideal gas in a cylinder. The first part, which involves showing that the evolution of the gas obeys TV^{\frac{2}{3}}=\mbox{constant}, has been solved using the equations S=-\frac{\partial F}{\partial T} and F=U-\mu N. The second part involves slowly applying a uniform external field to the container and determining the final temperature of the gas. The question of how to incorporate the potential u(z) into the equation for U is discussed, along with suggestions to look for clues in similar problems and review course material.
a_h
Hello Fellow Physicists!

I'm having trouble with a problem from a graduate course in Statistical Mechanics. It's a two part question; I've got the first part, it's the second part that's giving me trouble.

The problem is about reversible/adiabatic processes, thinking of "reversible" as meaning "constant entropy." In part a (which I got, but it may help to have it here), we need to show that the evolution of a classical ideal gas obeys

[tex]
TV^{\frac{2}{3}}=\mbox{constant.}
[/tex]

I did this by using [tex] S=-\frac{\partial F}{\partial T} [/tex] with [tex] F=U-\mu N, U=\frac{3}{2}NT [/tex]. To get [tex] \frac{\partial \mu}{\partial T} [/tex], I solved

[tex]
e^{\frac{\mu}{T}}=n\lambda^{3}=\frac{N}{V} \frac{h^{3}}{(2\pi mT)^{3/2}}
[/tex]

for mu. ([tex] \lambda [/tex] is the thermodynamic wavelength, n is the number density of the gas.)

Now for part b. We have a classical ideal gas in a cylinder. It is in equilibrium at a temperature [tex] T_{0} [/tex]. Now we slowly (adiabatically and reversibly) apply a uniform external field to the container, in a direction along its axis of symmetry. When we are done, there is a potential in our container given by

[tex]
u(z)=fz
[/tex]

where z is the distance along that symmetry axis and f is a constant. The question is, what is the temperature of the gas at the end of the process?

I would think that we should use the same assumptions:

[tex] S=-\frac{\partial F}{\partial T}=\mbox{constant} [/tex]

and [tex] F=U-\mu N [/tex], but I don't know how u(z) gets incorporated into U. Any ideas?

Thanks for all of your time, everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!

I'm not sure how to incorporate u(z) into the equation for U either. Have you tried looking at any other problems similar to this one to see if you can find any clues? Also, have you looked at the material you've been studying for this course to see if there are any hints? I hope someone else on the forum can provide some insight!

Hello there,

To solve this problem, we can use the first law of thermodynamics, which states that in an adiabatic process, the change in internal energy (U) is equal to the work done on the system (W). Since the process is reversible, we can also use the second law of thermodynamics, which states that in a reversible process, the change in entropy (S) is equal to the heat transfer (Q) divided by the temperature (T).

So, for this problem, we can write the following equations:

\Delta U = W = \int_{V_{0}}^{V_{f}} PdV

\Delta S = \frac{Q}{T} = \frac{1}{T_{0}} \int_{T_{0}}^{T_{f}} \frac{dQ}{dT}dT

Since the process is adiabatic, there is no heat transfer, so Q = 0. We also know that the gas is ideal, so we can use the ideal gas law PV = NkT to substitute for P and V in the first equation. This gives us:

\Delta U = NkT_{0} \int_{V_{0}}^{V_{f}} \frac{dV}{V} = NkT_{0} \ln(\frac{V_{f}}{V_{0}})

For the second equation, we can use the given potential u(z) to write the heat transfer as:

dQ = NkT_{0} \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}dz

Substituting this into the second equation and using the fact that \Delta S = 0, we get:

0 = NkT_{0} \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} \int_{T_{0}}^{T_{f}} \frac{dT}{T}

Solving for T_{f}, we get:

T_{f} = T_{0} e^{-\frac{\int_{z_{0}}^{z_{f}} \frac{\partial u}{\partial z}dz}{Nk}}

Since u(z) = fz, we can substitute this into the above equation and get:

T_{f} = T_{0} e^{-\frac{f}{Nk}(z_{f}-z_{0})}

In conclusion, the temperature of the gas at the end

1. How does an external field affect an ideal gas in an adiabatic process?

When an ideal gas is subjected to an external field in an adiabatic process, the gas will either expand or compress, depending on the direction of the external field. This change in volume will cause a corresponding change in pressure and temperature, while the internal energy of the gas remains constant.

2. What is the difference between an adiabatic and a reversible process?

An adiabatic process is one in which no heat is exchanged between the system and its surroundings, while a reversible process is one that can be reversed with no net change in the system or its surroundings. In the context of an ideal gas, an adiabatic process refers to a change in temperature and volume without any heat transfer, while a reversible process refers to a change in state that can be undone without any loss of energy.

3. Can an ideal gas undergo both adiabatic and reversible processes?

Yes, an ideal gas can undergo both adiabatic and reversible processes. In fact, these two processes are often used together in thermodynamic cycles, such as the Carnot cycle, to produce work. In these cycles, the gas undergoes a reversible expansion or compression (isothermal process) followed by an adiabatic process.

4. What are the practical applications of adiabatic and reversible processes in relation to ideal gases?

One practical application of adiabatic and reversible processes in relation to ideal gases is in the design of heat engines, such as the Carnot engine. These processes allow for the efficient conversion of thermal energy into mechanical work, which is used in a variety of industries, including power generation and transportation. Another application is in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, where these processes are used to cool a gas or liquid by compressing it and then allowing it to expand adiabatically.

5. How do real gases differ from ideal gases in terms of adiabatic and reversible processes?

Real gases differ from ideal gases in that they experience intermolecular forces and have non-zero volumes. This means that real gases may deviate from the ideal gas law under certain conditions, which can affect their behavior in adiabatic and reversible processes. For example, real gases may experience temperature changes during adiabatic processes due to interactions between molecules, and they may not reach the same final state when a reversible process is reversed.