How Do You Calculate Forces on a Car Traveling on a Banked Curve?

In summary, the problem asks to find the resultant force and normal force when a car of mass 1020kg and weight 1.0x10^4 N is traveling at the design speed on a banked curve with an angle of 18 degrees and radius of 70m. The calculated normal force is 10514.6N and the resultant force is 3249.2N, which is the component of the normal force towards the center of the curve. The design speed is approximately 14.9 m/s. It is important to show working and include a vector diagram for better understanding.
nugget

Homework Statement

car is on a banked curve of angle 18o, radius 70m. Mass of car = 1020kg and weight is taken as 1.0x10^4 N. Find the resultant force and the normal force N when the car is at the design speed.

Homework Equations

force diagram equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated Normal force to be 10514.6N
I calculated the resultant force to be the component of the normal force towards the centre of the banked curve, and got 3249.2N

I think design speed just means max speed the car can safely travel around the curve at, I calculated this to be approx. 14.9 m/s but i could be quite wrong.

Are there things I'm forgetting to consider? is this exactly what the question asks for?

Physics news on Phys.org
I checked your answers and everything, and from what I know, you are completely correct.

By the way, as advice, if you have not already done it in other examples it is good show working on the site, and if possible a vector diagram.

I would first double check my calculations to ensure accuracy. It is important to be precise in scientific calculations to ensure the validity of the results. Additionally, I would consider the forces acting on the car, such as the centrifugal force and the friction force, to get a more complete understanding of the situation.

Furthermore, I would also consider the design of the banked curve and its effects on the car's trajectory. Factors such as the angle of the bank, the radius of the curve, and the speed of the car can all play a role in determining the resultant force and the normal force.

In terms of the design speed, I would also take into account any safety measures or regulations that may affect the maximum speed at which the car can safely travel around the curve. This could include factors such as the road conditions, the driver's skill level, and the weight distribution of the car.

Overall, it is important to approach this problem with a critical and analytical mindset, taking into account all relevant factors and considering potential limitations in the data or assumptions made. This will ensure a thorough and accurate analysis of the situation.

1. How does a car stay on a banked curve?

When a car is driving on a banked curve, the force of gravity is pulling it towards the ground. However, the banked curve is angled in a way that also produces a horizontal force towards the center of the curve. This centripetal force, combined with the car's inertia, allows it to stay on the banked curve without slipping or sliding off.

2. What is the purpose of a banked curve?

The purpose of a banked curve is to allow vehicles to safely navigate turns at higher speeds. The angled surface of the curve provides a centripetal force that counteracts the centrifugal force acting on the vehicle, helping it to maintain its path without losing control.

3. How does the angle of the banked curve affect the car's speed?

The angle of the banked curve affects the car's speed by changing the amount of centripetal force acting on the vehicle. A steeper angle will produce a greater centripetal force, allowing the car to travel at a higher speed without slipping off the curve. On the other hand, a shallower angle will produce less centripetal force, limiting the car's speed on the curve.

4. What happens if a car is not traveling at the recommended speed on a banked curve?

If a car is not traveling at the recommended speed on a banked curve, it may experience a loss of traction and slide off the curve. This is because the centripetal force provided by the angle of the curve is not enough to counteract the centrifugal force acting on the vehicle. This can result in a loss of control and potentially lead to an accident.

5. Can a car stay on a banked curve without friction?

No, a car cannot stay on a banked curve without friction. Friction is necessary to provide the centripetal force that keeps the car on the curve. Without friction, the car would simply slide off the curve and continue in a straight line, following the laws of inertia.