Representing complex number as a vector.

In summary, the conversation discusses the default format of a complex number as a vector and how the real and imaginary parts must have the same units for addition to be possible. It also touches on the fact that the real numbers are a subset of the complex numbers and that the imaginary unit is just a number with a specific meaning. The conversation concludes by stating that a complex number can be added to a real number because it is also a complex number.
dE_logics
180px-Complex_number_illustration.svg.png

In the above image the default format of a complex number is taken as a vector, since vector addition is only between 2 similar units (example 10 cos 30 cm + 10 sin 30 cm or 5 cms on y-axis and 2 cm on the x; which gives a resultant following vector addition), it can be said that that the real and imaginary part (taken as individual axes) are having the same units; what I mean here is that in a complex number, a + bj, a and bj are having the same units; i.e the magnitude is divided into real and imaginay parts and it gives a resultant following vector addition (a + bj).

Infact this is the reason why they get added, cause addition of 2 numbers is only possible if the units are common.

So if you get a complex number in physics, its (a+ib) units; it can't be a [unit 1] + ib [unit 2].

Am I right?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not clear what you are saying. What units are you talking about? There are no "units" such as m, inches, etc. in number systems.

Yes :rofl:

But, let's take the practical application, I mean :rofl: number systems are used in physics right?...it its given a unit, when a complex number comes in a real life situation, it does have a unit, what I'm asking here is it necessary for both the real and imaginary parts to have the same unit?

If not that image might be wrong in a few place, that's not possible considering the graphical representation of every complex number.

Please give an actual situation in which a measured quantity, i.e. a quantity with units, is complex!

... Well, yes, if you have (a + bi), then a and bi both have the same units.

But a, b, and i are all dimensionless. Hence, they trivially have the same dimension.

dE_logics said:
180px-Complex_number_illustration.svg.png

In the above image the default format of a complex number is taken as a vector, since vector addition is only between 2 similar units (example 10 cos 30 cm + 10 sin 30 cm or 5 cms on y-axis and 2 cm on the x; which gives a resultant following vector addition), it can be said that that the real and imaginary part (taken as individual axes) are having the same units; what I mean here is that in a complex number, a + bj, a and bj are having the same units; i.e the magnitude is divided into real and imaginay parts and it gives a resultant following vector addition (a + bj).

Infact this is the reason why they get added, cause addition of 2 numbers is only possible if the units are common.

So if you get a complex number in physics, its (a+ib) units; it can't be a [unit 1] + ib [unit 2].

Am I right?
Yes you are right. Don't forget that the real numbers R is a subset of the complex numbers C. The imaginary unit i is just a number which has a meaning which you know.
The fact that 'a is a real number' also mean that 'a is a complex number'. Two vectors can be added if they are of the same dimension, since they are from the same vector space. So if you take a real number 'a' which is in it sense a complex, and add it to complex number ib, the result will give a complex number a + ib.

Thank you people.

Problem solved.

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is typically represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit (defined as the square root of -1).

How is a complex number represented as a vector?

A complex number can be represented as a vector in the two-dimensional complex plane. The real part of the number is represented by the x-coordinate, while the imaginary part is represented by the y-coordinate. The vector starts at the origin and ends at the point representing the complex number.

What is the magnitude of a complex number represented as a vector?

The magnitude of a complex number represented as a vector is its distance from the origin in the complex plane. It can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the real and imaginary parts of the complex number are the legs of a right triangle.

How do you add complex numbers using vector representation?

To add two complex numbers using vector representation, simply add the corresponding real and imaginary parts of the numbers. This is equivalent to adding the corresponding vectors in the complex plane.

Is it possible to multiply complex numbers using vector representation?

Yes, it is possible to multiply complex numbers using vector representation. This operation involves multiplying the magnitudes of the two numbers and adding their angles in the complex plane. The resulting vector represents the product of the two complex numbers.