Non-integer roots of complex numbers

In summary, \sqrt[n]{Z} has n distinct values for integer n, but for non-integer n's, there are infinitely many distinct solutions due to the infinite nature of irrational numbers. This can be shown through the use of Euler's formula and the fact that irrational numbers cannot satisfy the equation (k1-k2)/c=n. Therefore, there will always be a different root for each value of n, making the number of solutions infinite.
uruz

Homework Statement

[tex]\sqrt[n]{Z}[/tex] has exactly n distinct value for integer n.
What can you say about non-integer n's ?

Homework Equations

[tex]\sqrt[n]{Z}={|Z|}^{1/n}.(cos((\theta+2k\pi)/n)+isin((\theta+2k\pi)/n)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Euler's formula to see clearly what the roots are if n is integer.
As it is told i find [tex]\sqrt[n]{Z}[/tex] has n roots.
But what if n is non-integer?
I've been told that if n is non-integer there will be infinite solution.
How could it be?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not quite true. If you can see what the roots are when n is an integer then you can probably figure out what the roots are when n is rational and there's only a finite number. The case where n is irrational is where you have an infinite number of solutions. Can you show that?

If i take n, for instance 2.3 there will be several solution because at a certain k value i will notice that I've found the same root before.
if i take n=2.34 there'll be more solution because cosine or sine of it will have different values from previous ones..and the number of solutions increase with the increase in number of fractions.

If I think an irrotational number is infinitely long there will be infinitely different solutions.
Is that the case or just a piece of nonsense i make up?

That's roughly true. Two roots corresponding to the integers k1 and k2 are going to be the same if 2*pi*k1/n and 2*pi*k2/n differ by a multiple of 2*pi. Can you show if n is irrational then that can never happen?

c is an integer

[tex](2{\pi}k1 - 2{\pi}k2)/n = c2\pi[/tex]

[tex]k1 - k2 = cn[/tex]

hence k1 and k2 is integer, n must be integer too to have same roots.
that means if n is an irrational number this equation cannot be satisfied namely all roots we can find are different so we can say there are infinitely many distinct roots, is this correct?

Exactly right. That would mean (k1-k2)/c=n. The left side is rational, the right side isn't. The roots are all distinct.

1. What are non-integer roots of complex numbers?

Non-integer roots of complex numbers are solutions to equations in the form of (a + bi)^n, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. These solutions can be expressed as complex numbers and can have non-integer exponents.

2. How do you find non-integer roots of complex numbers?

To find the non-integer roots of a complex number, you can use De Moivre's theorem. This theorem states that for any complex number z = a + bi and any integer n, the n-th root of z is given by (a + bi)^(1/n) = r^(1/n) * [cos((θ + 2πk)/n) + i*sin((θ + 2πk)/n)], where r is the modulus of z and θ is the argument of z.

3. Can non-integer roots of complex numbers be negative?

Yes, non-integer roots of complex numbers can be negative. This is because the modulus of a complex number can be negative, and when raised to a non-integer power, it can still result in a negative number.

4. What is the difference between non-integer and integer roots of complex numbers?

The main difference between non-integer and integer roots of complex numbers is that non-integer roots can have exponents that are not whole numbers, while integer roots have exponents that are whole numbers. Additionally, non-integer roots can result in complex solutions, while integer roots always result in real solutions.

5. What are some practical applications of non-integer roots of complex numbers?

Non-integer roots of complex numbers have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, they are used in signal processing, control systems, and electrical engineering to analyze and design circuits and systems. They are also used in solving problems in quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics.