Very easy and quick residue calculus question.

In summary, the problem involves evaluating the integral \oint_{\left|z\right|=3/2} \frac{e^{\frac{1}{z-1}}}{z} dz using the residue theorem. There are two singularities within the domain, at z=0 and z=1. The approach is to evaluate the residues at each singularity and multiply by 2\pi i. The final answer is 2\pi i instead of 2\pi i + \frac{2\pi i}{e}, and the singularity at z=0 is not ignored as it can be accounted for by expanding the power series and summing the 1/w terms. When the domain is changed to |
car202

Homework Statement

[tex]\oint_{\left|z\right|=3/2} \frac{e^{\frac{1}{z-1}}}{z} dz
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Using residue theorem, since there are two singularities withing the domain, evaluate residues at each singularity, and multiply by [tex]2\pi i[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the problem. The answer is [tex]2 \pi i[/tex] instead of [tex]2 \pi i + \frac{2\pi i}{e}[/tex]
I don't understand why singularity at zero is ignored.
FYI, if the domain it |z| = 1/2, the answer is 2pi*i/e.

Physics news on Phys.org
They didn't ignore the singularity at 0. The singularity at z=1 is not what you think it is. Try putting w=z-1 and expanding the power series around w=0. You'll find an infinite number of 1/w terms. Sum them.

1. What is residue calculus?

Residue calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the computation of residues, or the values of complex integrals. It is used to evaluate integrals that are difficult to solve using traditional methods.

2. How is residue calculus different from traditional calculus?

Residue calculus focuses specifically on finding the residues of complex integrals, while traditional calculus deals with a broader range of mathematical concepts and techniques.

3. Why is residue calculus useful?

Residue calculus is useful because it allows for the evaluation of complex integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It is also used in many areas of physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

4. What are some real-world applications of residue calculus?

Residue calculus has many applications in various fields, including signal processing, control theory, and circuit analysis. It is also used in physics to calculate scattering amplitudes and in chemistry to study chemical reactions.

5. How can I improve my understanding of residue calculus?

To improve your understanding of residue calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in traditional calculus and complex analysis. Practice solving integrals using residue calculus and seek out resources such as textbooks, online courses, and tutorials to deepen your knowledge.