Simple harmonic motion question

In summary: Looks good!for part b am i correct in using this equation: v=wROOT(A^2-x^2) and if so because max speed is reached at the equilibirum position would i take x as 0?
no1schuifan

Homework Statement

A mass of 10g is suspended from a spring of unstreched length 80cm. The extension produced is 1cm. The mass is pulled down a further 0.5cm and then released. Find:
a) the period of motion
b)the maximum speed of the mass
c) the max Ke of the mass
d)the tension in the spring when the mass is o.1cm below the equilibrium position
e) the max potential energy stored by the spring
f) the energy released by the spring when the mass moves from its lowest to the equilibrium position.

Any help of any sort will be greatly appreciated as I've only started studying this topic and finding it hard to understand. Many Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
no1schuifan said:

Homework Statement

A mass of 10g is suspended from a spring of unstreched length 80cm. The extension produced is 1cm. The mass is pulled down a further 0.5cm and then released. Find:
a) the period of motion
b)the maximum speed of the mass
c) the max Ke of the mass
d)the tension in the spring when the mass is o.1cm below the equilibrium position
e) the max potential energy stored by the spring
f) the energy released by the spring when the mass moves from its lowest to the equilibrium position.

Any help of any sort will be greatly appreciated as I've only started studying this topic and finding it hard to understand. Many Thanks.

Use the information given to find the spring constant (hint: spring force = mg when the mass is at equilibrium, which occurs when the extension is 1cm).
Then use the sping constant and the amplitude A= 0.5 cm to find all the answers.

How about you start by calculating the spring constant from the information that was given.

Hint: what is the force that causes the spring to extend?

thanks for you help.
So for the spring constant:
mg=w, 0.01*9.81= 0.0981 which i think is the force extending the spring?
if the spring constant = f/x is so then k = 9.81?
if that's the case then to calculate the period could i use T = 2pi ROOT(m/k)?

no1schuifan said:
thanks for you help.
So for the spring constant:
mg=w, 0.01*9.81= 0.0981 which i think is the force extending the spring?
if the spring constant = f/x is so then k = 9.81?
if that's the case then to calculate the period could i use T = 2pi ROOT(m/k)?

Looks good!

for part b am i correct in using this equation: v=wROOT(A^2-x^2) and if so because max speed is reached at the equilibirum position would i take x as 0?

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth along a straight line, where the force acting on the object is directly proportional to its displacement from a fixed point and is always directed towards that point.

2. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x(t) = A sin(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement of the object at time t, A is the amplitude of the motion, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and period in simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of simple harmonic motion is the number of cycles or oscillations per unit time, while the period is the time it takes for the object to complete one full cycle. The relationship between frequency and period is inverse, meaning that as the frequency increases, the period decreases.

4. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and uniform circular motion?

Simple harmonic motion involves the back and forth motion of an object along a straight line, while uniform circular motion involves the constant motion of an object along a circular path. In simple harmonic motion, the force acting on the object is directly proportional to its displacement, while in uniform circular motion, the force is directed towards the center of the circle.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some examples of simple harmonic motion in everyday life include the swinging of a pendulum, the motion of a mass attached to a spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string. Other examples include the motion of a mass on a vibrating machine, the motion of a car's suspension system, and the motion of a diving board after being pushed down and released.