Integrating Sec Tan^2: Solving the Square Root of (x^2-1) over the Interval 0-1

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the square root of (x^2 - 1) over the interval 0-1. The problem is not a quarter of a circle despite the appearance of the equation, and the function results in imaginary numbers for values of x in the interval (-1, 1). One approach to solving the integral involves transforming it to only involve powers of secant and then using integration by parts.
TG3
Homework Statement
Integrate the square root of (x^2 -1) over the interval 0-1.

The attempt at a solution

First off, I know this is a quarter of a circle, but I'm not supposed to solve it that way.
Now then:

x = sec theta
dx= sec tan theta.

square root (x^2-1) dx
becomes
square root (sec^2-1) sec tan

Square root (tan^2) sec tan

tan sec tan

sec tan^2

This is as far as I can get- I can't see any u substitutions that would work here, and don't know this integral off the top of my head either.

Physics news on Phys.org
You went from (tan^2)sec tan to just (tan^2)sec, it should be (tan^3)sec. That doesn't matter though, think about the graph and what the area is doing on the interval (0,1).

Hogger: There was a square root.

Integrals involving secants can be nasty; generally you have to integrate by parts. This is indeed the case with this integral, although first you should transform using identities to an integral only involving powers of secant. After integrating by parts once, you'll get an integral you've seen before, after which you can simply solve for it by algebraic means.

Integrate the square root of (x^2 -1) over the interval 0-1.
First off, I know this is a quarter of a circle, but I'm not supposed to solve it that way.
The equation y = [itex]\sqrt{x^2 - 1}[/itex] is NOT the equation of a circle or any part of one.

The function above results in imaginary numbers for x in the interval (-1, 1). Are you sure that you have copied the problem correctly?

What is the formula for integrating Sec Tan^2?

The formula for integrating Sec Tan^2 is ∫sec^2x tan^2x dx = (1/3) tan^3x + C.

What is the process for integrating Sec Tan^2?

The process for integrating Sec Tan^2 involves using u-substitution. Let u = tanx and du = sec^2x dx. Then the integral becomes ∫u^2 du, which can be easily solved using the power rule.

What is the purpose of integrating Sec Tan^2?

The purpose of integrating Sec Tan^2 is to find the indefinite integral of this trigonometric function. This can be helpful in solving various mathematical problems and in applications such as physics and engineering.

What are the common mistakes when integrating Sec Tan^2?

Some common mistakes when integrating Sec Tan^2 include forgetting to use u-substitution, forgetting to add the constant of integration, and making errors in the integration process.

Can the integral of Sec Tan^2 be solved without u-substitution?

Yes, the integral of Sec Tan^2 can also be solved using trigonometric identities. For example, using the identity sec^2x = 1 + tan^2x, the integral becomes ∫(1 + tan^2x) tan^2x dx, which can be solved using the power rule and the sum rule.