Explain what this tells you about parametric and symmetric equations in R^3?

In summary, in 3-space, a line that is parallel to the xy-plane but not to any of the axes will have a directional vector of [ax,ay,0] and will be perpendicular to the z-axis. This means that the z-component will always be 0. When writing parametric equations, the z-component will simply equal the position vector's z-component. For symmetric equations, since there is no parameter t in the z-component, the equations will be an equation in x and y with the additional equation "z= constant".
axxon
parametric and symmetric equations in R^3??

Homework Statement

Recall that there are three coordinates planes in 3-space. A line in R3 is parallel to xy-plane, but not to any of the axes. Explain what this tells you about parametric and symmetric equations in R3. Support your answer using examples.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This question had me thinking for a while, but i want to confirm my understanding or if i am even correct.

I think the line is perpendicular to the Z-axis, So does this mean that the directional vector for z component is 0? basically [ax,ay,0].But couldn't it be perpendicular to xy plane, and still have a directional z component?
But besides that, using that information, in terms of parametric equation it tells us that
the z is just going to equal the position vectors z component.

Now here is where i get confused...with the symmetric equation.
Can you guys please explains this to me in simplest terms...i am trying really hard to understand this vectors in 3 space stuff.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

To answer your first questions, yes, it's perpendicular to the Z-axis and there can be no value for the Z component other then 0, otherwise it wouldn't be perpendicular to your xy-plane. If it were perpendicular to the xy-plane, then by definition it would have a Z-component. However, the question is talking about being parallel to the xy-plane.

Ah alrite i just got that i decided to draw out a graph...yes what you said sums that up...now onto the parametric and symmetric equations

can someone please help with the other problem?

Pengwuino said:
To answer your first questions, yes, it's perpendicular to the Z-axis and there can be no value for the Z component other then 0, otherwise it wouldn't be perpendicular to your xy-plane. If it were perpendicular to the xy-plane, then by definition it would have a Z-component. However, the question is talking about being parallel to the xy-plane.

well can you answer the second part? am i atleast close?

Given x, y, z as parametric equations with parameter t, you can find the "symmetric" equations by solving each equation for t and setting them all equal. In this case, z is a constant: there is no t so you can't solve for t. The symmetric equations are an equation in x and y with the additional equation "z= constant".

HallsofIvy said:
Given x, y, z as parametric equations with parameter t, you can find the "symmetric" equations by solving each equation for t and setting them all equal. In this case, z is a constant: there is no t so you can't solve for t. The symmetric equations are an equation in x and y with the additional equation "z= constant".

So Symmetric would look like:
[tex]\frac{x-ax}{bx}[/tex]= [tex]\frac{y-ay}{by}[/tex]= az
(where 'az' is a constant)

What are parametric and symmetric equations in R^3?

Parametric and symmetric equations are two ways of representing a line or curve in three-dimensional space. Parametric equations use one or more parameters to describe the coordinates of points on the line or curve, while symmetric equations use a system of equations to describe the relationship between the coordinates.

What is the difference between parametric and symmetric equations?

The main difference between parametric and symmetric equations is the way they represent the line or curve. Parametric equations use parameters to describe individual points, while symmetric equations use a system of equations to describe the overall relationship between points on the line or curve.

How are parametric and symmetric equations used in real-world applications?

Parametric and symmetric equations are used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics, to describe and model complex curves and surfaces in three-dimensional space. They are also used in optimization problems and in computer programming to create 3D graphics.

What are the advantages of using parametric equations over symmetric equations?

Parametric equations offer more flexibility in representing complex curves and surfaces, as they can easily incorporate parameters to adjust the shape and orientation. They are also easier to manipulate and solve in mathematical calculations compared to symmetric equations.

How can understanding parametric and symmetric equations in R^3 benefit a scientist?

Understanding parametric and symmetric equations can benefit a scientist by allowing them to effectively model and analyze complex curves and surfaces in three-dimensional space. This can be useful in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science, for solving problems and making predictions.