Calculating energy requirements for heavy runners

• Thread starter andrewdickson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, Andrew needs to know about the physics of motion and the relationship between mass and acceleration in order to use F=MA.
andrewdickson
Hi All...

This is my first time, be gentle.

It was a long time ago that I studied stage 1 physics during my biochemistry degree (yes, I know biochemistry was a cop-out) and I am having trouble figuring out a way to express the energy requirements for different body weight runners. Basically someone quoted F=MA to me to describe why a man weighing 90kgs running at a constant speed of 4m/s would require more force than a man weighing 60kgs also running at a constant speed of 4m/s. Now I know that it is obvious that the bigger bloke must exert more force but it seems that F=MA is not the formula to show this. What I really want to do is work out the relationship between body weight and force required to move that body weight at a constant speed.

Any ideas?

Thanks all,
Andrew (from New Zealand)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Andrew! Welcome to PF! :smile:
andrewdickson said:
Basically someone quoted F=MA to me to describe why a man weighing 90kgs running at a constant speed of 4m/s would require more force than a man weighing 60kgs also running at a constant speed of 4m/s. Now I know that it is obvious that the bigger bloke must exert more force but it seems that F=MA is not the formula to show this. What I really want to do is work out the relationship between body weight and force required to move that body weight at a constant speed.

Yes, at constant speed, the acceleration (A) is zero, so F = MA doesn't help at all! :biggrin:

At constant speed, the forces must balance, so the horizontal force from the muscles must equal the air resistance.

So weight doesn't come into it, though frontal surface area certainly does. :smile:

But I don't know how the horizontal force relates to the energy … it presumably depends on lots of physiology-type things. :redface:

F = MA is indeed the short explanation, but not very useful in prediction. Every stride contains a vertical component that is an acceleration against gravity. Also muscles do not generate a constant force, but create a series of accelerations. You'll never get to an accurate math analysis without knowing and accounting for all the masses and motions of the individual body parts.

1. What factors should be considered when calculating energy requirements for heavy runners?

When calculating energy requirements for heavy runners, factors such as body weight, distance and pace of running, terrain, and weather conditions should be taken into account.

2. How do you determine the appropriate calorie intake for heavy runners?

The appropriate calorie intake for heavy runners can be determined by using a formula that takes into account their weight, running distance, and intensity level. This formula can be found in various online calculators or can be calculated manually using the Harris-Benedict equation.

3. Is there a specific diet that heavy runners should follow to meet their energy requirements?

Heavy runners should follow a well-balanced diet that includes carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats. It is important to fuel the body with enough energy to support the demands of running, but also to consume nutrient-dense foods that will aid in recovery and overall health.

4. What are the risks of not meeting the energy requirements for heavy runners?

If heavy runners do not consume enough calories to meet their energy demands, they may experience fatigue, weakness, and decreased performance. This can also lead to a weakened immune system and increased risk of injury.

5. Are there any tools or apps available to help calculate energy requirements for heavy runners?

Yes, there are many tools and apps available that can help calculate energy requirements for heavy runners. Some popular options include MyFitnessPal, Nike Run Club, and Strava. These apps can also track daily calorie intake and provide personalized recommendations for meeting energy needs.