Wave mechanics: the adjoint of a hamiltonian

Yes, but the conditions Q^{\dagger}Q^{\dagger}=0 and QQ^{\dagger}+Q^{\dagger}Q put restrictions on H, which allow you to simplify (QQ^{\dagger})^2 to \alpha QQ^{\dagger}...which is exactly what you've just shown. It's no different from saying x^2=1 when x=1.Anyways, H^2=\alpha^2QQ^{\dagger}=\alpha(\alpha...)\alpha=__________.$\alpha Q^{\dagger}Q$.Does this answer your question?Hmm, is there a reason why you want to answer
noblegas said:
yes. E=0 or 1

You are getting closer. E=0 solves it. Why do you think E=1 solves E*alpha-E*E=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dick said:
You are getting closer. E=0 solves it. Why do you think E=1 solves E*alpha-E*E=0?

E=1 ==> alpha =1 right?

noblegas said:
E=1 ==> alpha =1 right?

I had really hoped you would figure out that E*alpha-E*E=0 means E*(E-alpha)=0. So E=0 or E-alpha=0. So E=0 or E=alpha. But that doesn't seem to be happening. There is nothing in the problem that requires E=1 any more than there is that E=56, is there?

Dick said:
I had really hoped you would figure out that E*alpha-E*E=0 means E*(E-alpha)=0. So E=0 or E-alpha=0. So E=0 or E=alpha. But that doesn't seem to be happening. There is nothing in the problem that requires E=1 any more than there is that E=56, is there?

I've should have caught that ; Its been a long long ... long night.

noblegas said:
I've should have caught that ; Its been a long long ... long night.

Granted, a long night. So alpha is sort of the fixed constant in the problem, right? You want to solve for E given the value of alpha. Are we agreed that either E=0 or E=alpha? If so then gabbagabbahey and everybody else can take a nap.

Dick said:
Granted, a long night. So alpha is sort of the fixed constant in the problem, right? You want to solve for E given the value of alpha. Are we agreed that either E=0 or E=alpha? If so then gabbagabbahey and everybody else can take a nap.

yes.