Not a simply connected contour

• Thread starter oddiseas
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the solution to an integral for a non-simply connected contour in the complex plane. The question asks to evaluate the contour for ∫dz/z-1, but since the contour is not simply connected and the discontinuity is inside the contour, it is unclear how to proceed. The solution may involve determining the winding number of the contour around the point z=1 and using a formula from notes or a book.
oddiseas

Homework Statement

I have a contour in the complex plane it is not simply connected, because it looks like two figure eights that overlap and intersect each other. Now how do i evaluate an integral for such a contour?

Homework Equations

The question asks to evalute the contour shown for ∫dz/z-1.
But the contour is not simply connected and we are not given a function for the contour only a picture. In addition the discontinuity at z=1 is inside the contour. So how can i evaluate it?

Is this a trick question or something?
I thought we could only evaluate integrals when the contour is simply connected and we use a contour that does not contain the discontinuity?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
"Simply connected" would describe the domain, not the contour. I bet you mean the contour is not simple. You have to figure out the winding number of the contour around the point z=1. How many times does the contour wrap around z=1. Then you probably have a formula in your notes or book involving winding number.

1. What is a simply connected contour?

A simply connected contour is a closed curve or path in a two-dimensional space that does not cross itself and contains no holes or voids. In other words, it is a shape that can be continuously deformed into a single point without leaving the two-dimensional space.

2. What does it mean for a contour to not be simply connected?

If a contour is not simply connected, it means that it contains at least one hole or void within its boundaries. This means that it cannot be continuously deformed into a single point without leaving the two-dimensional space.

3. How does the concept of simply connected contours relate to topology?

In topology, simply connectedness is a fundamental property of a space that describes its connectedness and the absence of holes. Simply connected contours play a significant role in studying the topology of two-dimensional spaces, as they can be used to classify and distinguish between different types of spaces.

4. Can a contour be partially simply connected?

No, a contour is either simply connected or not. There is no in-between or partial simply connectedness. If a contour contains even just one hole or void, it is considered not simply connected.

5. What are some real-world examples of not simply connected contours?

Real-world examples of not simply connected contours include the shape of a doughnut, a ring-shaped pool, or a figure-eight-shaped track. These shapes all contain at least one hole or void within their boundaries, making them not simply connected.