Linear Algebra Book Recomendations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty the individual is having with their linear algebra class and their desire for a better textbook. Multiple recommendations are given, including the use of Schaum's outlines, the consideration of the course level, and suggestions for specific textbooks such as Strang and Lay. The conversation also suggests utilizing additional resources such as lecture notes and video lectures.
sam.baranoff
I need serious help you guys.

I am studying linear algebra this semester, and the book that professor chose is horse crap. I've gotten straight As in every Calculus class up to this level, and I'm struggling big time. He's using Schaum's outlines to teach this course.

Can someone recommend me a good Linear Algebra textbook?

Physics news on Phys.org
There was another thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=276810&highlight=linear+algebra+book

Schaums outline should be alright, its cheap, you will have you lecture notes, you can suplement with another book. You did not discribe the level of the course. Common levels are
1)Computational
2)Transitional
3)Gentile theoretical
4)regular theoretical
5)theoretical
then of course more specialized books
In general I suggest
Strang(lower on) if excessive computation is a must
Axler (to avoid determinants)
Lang(2 levels)
Shilov
Roman (2 level)
There are many good choices depending on taste, emphasis, and background.

What do you mean by "(2 levels)" and "(2 level)"? Lang has two books on Linear Algebra, so I guess you refer to that fact. But Roman has only one LA book...

re: 2 levels
by Serge Lang
Introduction to Linear Algebra (Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics)
Linear Algebra (Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics)

Steven Roman
Introduction to Linear Algebra With Applications
Advanced Linear Algebra -Graduate Texts in Mathematics v. 135 by Steven Roman
second edition has many errors thirds edition I hope has fewer

lurflurf said:
There was another thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=276810&highlight=linear+algebra+book

Schaums outline should be alright, its cheap, you will have you lecture notes, you can suplement with another book. You did not discribe the level of the course. Common levels are
1)Computational
2)Transitional
3)Gentile theoretical
4)regular theoretical
5)theoretical
then of course more specialized books
In general I suggest
Strang(lower on) if excessive computation is a must
Axler (to avoid determinants)
Lang(2 levels)
Shilov
Roman (2 level)
There are many good choices depending on taste, emphasis, and background.

Thanks!

If this is a linear algebra class right after calculus, I'm guessing it's more computational. Try David Lay's https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321287134/?tag=pfamazon01-20. It's computationally oriented, but certainly encourages you to think about the theory if you do the right exercises.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best book for learning Linear Algebra?

The best book for learning Linear Algebra depends on your level of understanding and your learning style. Some popular options include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by Gilbert Strang, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Serge Lang.

2. Is there a Linear Algebra book that is easy for beginners?

Yes, there are many Linear Algebra books that are specifically designed for beginners. Some recommended options include "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole and "Linear Algebra: A First Course" by Kenneth Hoffman and Ray Kunze.

3. Are there any online resources for learning Linear Algebra instead of a book?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning Linear Algebra, such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer video lectures, practice problems, and interactive exercises to help you learn Linear Algebra.

4. What is the difference between a theoretical and applied Linear Algebra book?

A theoretical Linear Algebra book focuses on the mathematical concepts and proofs, while an applied Linear Algebra book focuses on real-world applications and problem-solving techniques. Depending on your goals, you may prefer one type of book over the other.

5. Can you recommend a Linear Algebra book with practical examples and exercises?

Yes, "Linear Algebra: Step by Step" by Kuldeep Singh is a popular book that focuses on practical examples and exercises. It also comes with an online course and interactive app to further enhance your learning.