Does forces travel faster than speed of light?

In summary: The authors use a moving frame which follows the deformation of the rod. Because of the symmetry, the problem becomes one-dimensional.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of speed of forces and its relationship to the speed of light in the universe. It is mentioned that a perfectly rigid object does not exist, and that forces can only propagate through an object at the speed of sound. This concept is further explained using examples such as a mile-long steel rail and a block of wood. The conversation also touches on the topic of special relativity and how it can be applied to rigid bodies. However, the conversation concludes that this topic may be too complex for a high school student to fully understand and suggests waiting until college or graduate level to further explore
matttan
If speed of light is the upper limit of speed in the universe, how about force? (please refer to example for the paradox)

For example if there is a block of wood 50 light seconds long floating in free space, say it weights only 1 kg and I apply 1 N causing it to accelerate 1m/s^2. So does the acceleration occurs(in the block of wood) after 50 seconds(or maybe 100 seconds) or it happens immediately breaking the speed of light?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
George Jones said:

Sorry, I really do not understand the thread above as I am currently a senior high school student.
But are they trying to say that the speed of sound is the limit for forces to travel for the block of wood I mention above?

matttan said:
Sorry, I really do not understand the thread above as I am currently a senior high school student.
But are they trying to say that the speed of sound is the limit for forces to travel for the block of wood I mention above?

Try this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-152266.html

What people in the other two threads are saying is that a perfectly rigid object does not (in fact cannot) exist. When you hit one end of a rod, you are actually hitting the atoms at the end of the rod and causing them to move. Those atoms cause their neighbors to move, which in turn causes their neighbors to move, etc. With a floppy object like a Slinky this is obvious and visible to the naked eye. With a more rigid object like a meter stick, it happens very quickly and is not apparent to the naked eye.

Going further, take a mile-long steel rail and hit one end. It really does take a few seconds before the far end responds, corresponding to the time it takes for sound (mechanical vibrations) to travel along the rail.

Such "influences" cannot propagate through an object faster than the speed of light.

matttan said:
As you have seen, you will get as many answers as there are experts in the forum.
Your question is sensible, but the answer is a bit complicated for high school level, even if precocious. I would hold it until you learn relativity at the college and graduate level.
You won't find an answer on the forum.

clem said:
As you have seen, you will get as many answers as there are experts in the forum.
Your question is sensible, but the answer is a bit complicated for high school level, even if precocious. I would hold it until you learn relativity at the college and graduate level.
You won't find an answer on the forum.

Though I am an high school student, but I do know about special relativity (but not general relativity) eg. length contraction, time dilation etc as I used MIT ocw lecture slides to teach myself, but they didn't mention about "speed of forces". And I was just wondering how things appeared when the block of 50 light seconds long wood (mention above) taking a long time to move when I started to push it from one end.

matttan said:
And I was just wondering how things appeared when the block of 50 light seconds long wood (mention above) taking a long time to move when I started to push it from one end.
Well, that block stretches 1.5 million kilometers, so it would be pretty hard to see both ends at once. I'm not just being persnickety. The point is, objects 1.5millionkm long are not part of our everyday experience, so what's to compare it to?

Note that it would not happen to wood, as the wood is too compressible to transmit the movement along its length. Remember, you're pushing something that is millions of times more massive than an oceanliner - you can't simply tap it and expect it to move. The wood will absorb your tiny force.

So the next thing you do is use something ultra-rigid - steel or diamond. But now, you can't just push it (it weighs Teratonnes) you have to whack it with a very large hammer. But now, rather than gentle shoves, we're talking about shockwaves. And that might just travel the length of the material before dissipating.

Be that as it may, it's not as foreign a picture as you think. Surely you have seen impact ripples pass through solid objects. The most common place is seeing a shockwave caused by a large bomb. The wave of kicked-up dust can be clearly seen racing across the landscape.

It's the same thing.

Note, BTW, that we DO know if one object that is large enough to suffer the kind of movement you're imagining: Earth. When one part of the Earth moves (say, due to an Earthquake) it takes a significant time (several minutes) for that movement to propogate to the other side of the Earth.

Last edited:
Rigid bodies can be treated in special relativity. Try to read
<http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0906/0906.1919v1.pdf>

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Does Newton's first law of motion imply that forces can travel faster than the speed of light?

No, Newton's first law of motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force. This law does not address the speed of forces, but rather the effect of forces on an object's motion.

2. Is it possible for information to travel faster than the speed of light through forces?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit for anything in the universe. This includes the transfer of information through forces.

3. Can forces travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum?

No, the speed of light in a vacuum is considered to be the fastest possible speed in the universe. This means that no force can travel faster than the speed of light, even in a vacuum.

4. Are there any exceptions to the speed of light limit for forces?

No, the speed of light limit applies to all forms of energy and matter, including forces. While there are particles that have been observed to travel faster than the speed of light, this is due to their interaction with other particles and does not violate the speed limit for forces.

5. Can forces be used to achieve faster-than-light travel?

No, the speed of light limit also applies to the movement of objects. While forces can accelerate an object, they cannot be used to achieve speeds faster than the speed of light.