A possible uncrossable boarder between bradyons and hypothetical tachyons

In summary, the potential "uncrossable" boarder between bradyons and hypothetical tachyons is that there is a barrier between the highest speed a bradyon can achieve (infinetly close to c) and the lowest speed a tachyon could achieve (?), the speed of a tachyon increases as its energy decreases, and the relativistic gamma factor becomes imaginary when v > c. However, since the relativistic gamma factor becomes imaginary when v > c, it is assumed that in order for tachyons to have real-valued energy and momentum, their rest mass m must be imaginary.
Willowz
A possible "uncrossable" boarder between bradyons and hypothetical tachyons...

I would like to ask about a correlation between baryonic matter and hypothetical tachyons.
(For ordinary bradyonic matter, E increases with increasing velocity, becoming arbitrarily large as v approaches c, the speed of light.) Therefore, just as bradyons are forbidden to break the light-speed barrier, so too are tachyons forbidden from slowing down to below c, since to reach the barrier from either above or below requires infinite energy.
From this I assume that there is a barrier between the highest speed a bradyon can achieve(infinetly close to c) and the lowest speed a tachyon could achieve(?)...
the speed of a tachyon increases as its energy decreases") and ("the speed of a bradyon increases as its energy increases")
So from the above I could assume that for the bradyon: v~e, and for the tachyon v~1/e. I'm not great at maths or physics, but could someone help me equate the two. Or maybe it would be better to equate e=mc^2(bradyon) and e^(-1)=mc^2 ?(tachyon)...but now I think we would need complex numbers. :( Thanks for any help
Maybe it's just c that can't be achieved by anything other than light?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Maybe the sub-forum is wrong. Could a mod move this topic into "Particle Physics"?

I think this is the right forum, since tachyons aren't part of any mainstream particle physics model, they are a hypothetical idea from relativity. It's assumed that for both bradyons and tachyons, the total energy is given by the formula [tex]E = \gamma mc^2[/tex] (which is another way of writing the relativistic equation [tex]E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2[/tex], where p is the relativistic momentum [tex]p = \gamma mv[/tex]...the formula E = mc^2 is only intended to apply in a particle's own rest frame, for particles which aren't at rest you need an expanded equation which includes the kinetic energy due to motion). However, since the relativistic gamma factor [tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex] becomes imaginary when v > c, it is assumed that in order for tachyons to have real-valued energy and momentum, their rest mass m must be imaginary (see this page). You can see that with this assumption, E in the equation [tex]E = \gamma mc^2 = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex] can be a real number (since imaginary * imaginary = real), and its value approaches infinity as v approaches c from above.

Last edited:

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to ask. If bradyons can't achieve c, and tachyons can't achieve c. And only light can move at c, then is it possible for one of the two to ever "jump" over this barrier of c? What is stopping them from doing so? Thanks for any replies.

1. What are bradyons and tachyons?

Bradyons and tachyons are hypothetical particles that are predicted by certain theories in physics. Bradyons are particles that travel at or below the speed of light, while tachyons are particles that travel faster than the speed of light. Both types of particles have not been observed in experiments, and their existence is still a topic of debate in the scientific community.

2. Why is there a possible uncrossable border between bradyons and tachyons?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe. This means that if tachyons do exist and can travel faster than light, they would not be able to cross over into the realm of bradyons, which are bound by the speed of light. This creates an uncrossable border between the two types of particles.

3. How does this uncrossable border affect our understanding of the universe?

The existence of an uncrossable border between bradyons and tachyons would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It would challenge the principles of causality and the concept of time as we know it. It would also require a rethinking of our current understanding of energy and matter.

4. Is there any evidence for the existence of bradyons and tachyons?

While there have been some theoretical predictions and mathematical models that suggest the existence of bradyons and tachyons, there is currently no experimental evidence to support their existence. Scientists continue to search for ways to detect and study these particles, but so far, their existence remains unconfirmed.

5. Can the uncrossable border between bradyons and tachyons ever be breached?

Currently, there is no evidence or known mechanism that can allow for the crossing of the uncrossable border between bradyons and tachyons. However, as our understanding of the universe and its laws continues to evolve, it is possible that new discoveries and technologies may challenge our current understanding and potentially allow for the crossing of this border in the future.