How to change my career to one in physics?

In summary: You can get away with more at lesser-known schools. I know of some schools that offer a terminal MS and will admit people without a BS in physics, conditional on them passing a few upper division undergraduate courses first. However, then you run into the problem that such schools usually have fewer financial resources available.
Not that i know of.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself why you want to study Physics? I don't see why you cannot puruse Physics in India. Not everyone can come to the U.S. This doesn't mean that you should frown upon your other options. You don't have to study physics in the US - Understand that education in America is a 'business', although they do care about teaching and developing great minds, at the end of the day it's about paying their employees, cutting costs, etc. Real education occurs outside of class and depends entirely on the student; much of grad school is self-learning. Don't travel thousands of miles just to realize that the grass is not greener on the other side (in some situations); Why not England? India? Germany (if you know german - or learn it)?

You can study physics anywhere, if you're good at it, you're good at it people will notice; make an informed decision. Oh, and your intuition is often wrong. You are not who you think you are, but if there is a voice within you that says "you cannot paint", by all means paint! And that voice will be silenced.

Last edited:
dinnan said:
Thanks for being ab;e to understand my situation. I too have some doubts on whether I might actually get along studying it. I have started reading the feynman lectures to understand some basic things. Suggest some other book that you find is a good start.
Another problem is that of finding time after work. I am appearing 4 GATE this time too in physics. Can engineers write it and get admission into colleges with stipend? They had mentioned MS in physics as qualification 4 that.

Some of the institutes like IISc, RRI, TIFR, IIA, IUCAA, NCRA do consider BE Graduates, particularly Electronics/Electrical Engineers or for that matter any BE graduates. Regarding books, i think Physics experts in this forum can help u better than me.
Anyways, Best of luck...:smile:

I just set up a blog to discuss all things related to shifting one's career to physics. Since there seem to be so many of us I thought we could share information, exchange notes and generally help each other out. Please PM me if you're interested in joining the blog.

thanks all. appreciate ur views. will find a way out soon.