Can salty sea water create heat in a simple reaction ?

In summary, Sonny is asking if it is possible to create a small amount of heat in saltwater through a chemical reaction. Suggestions include adding group 1 metals, anhydrous salts, or oxides to the water, but finding a safe and practical solution is difficult. Another option is to use sunlight to heat the water.
sonnyco
Hi, I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this question but here goes;

Can i create a small amount of heat from salt water with some kind of chemical reaction, like if i was to place something into salt / sea water can i make the water heat up a little ?

Sorry this is all a bit vague !

cheers

Sonny

Science news on Phys.org
Adding group 1 metals (Sodium/Potassium etc) to water will give you lots of heat
So will most anhydrous salts an a few oxides (CaO = quicklime)

Do you want industrial scale, safe and practical or science fair experiment?

Hi the reaction I am looking for is an ongoing reaction, like making a textile out a particular material and every time i dip it into sea water a small reaction happens and it warms up slightly. I could weave for example silver, or copper into the textile or we could coat it in some kind of inert chemical or coating etc... ! Any ideas very welcome.

thanks

Sonnyco

Unlikely, it takes a lot of chemical energy to warm something up even slighty.
Finding something that is stable in air, can be incorporated into cloth an is safe and non-toxic is tricky.
The normal solution for chemcial hand warmers is either a packet of fine iron powder that oxidises on contact with air when you open the packet (one shot use) or a selaed salt solution that freezes when you tap it - giving off heat - an which you cna recharge by melting it again in hot water.

Unsure just what you are after, but placing sea water in sunshine heats it...and that heat can pass to immersed materials via conduction...enough heat is gained by water to cause evaporation and vast salt deposits around the world...

1. Can salty sea water really create heat in a simple reaction?

Yes, it is possible for salty sea water to create heat in a simple reaction. This is due to the chemical properties of salt and the process of chemical reactions.

2. How does salty sea water create heat?

When salt is dissolved in water, it dissociates into its constituent ions (sodium and chloride). These ions can interact with the water molecules, causing an increase in temperature through a process called hydration energy. Additionally, when saltwater is heated, the water evaporates, leaving behind more concentrated saltwater which has a higher boiling point, further increasing the temperature.

3. Can any type of salt be used to create heat in sea water?

Yes, any type of salt can be used to create heat in sea water, as long as it is able to dissolve in water. However, different types of salt have varying dissociation energies, which can affect the amount of heat produced.

4. Is this a safe and reliable method of creating heat?

Using salty sea water to create heat can be safe and reliable, depending on the specific circumstances and precautions taken. It is important to use proper equipment and follow safety measures to avoid any potential hazards.

5. What other factors can affect the amount of heat produced by salty sea water?

Apart from the type of salt used, factors such as the concentration of salt, amount of water, and external temperature can also affect the amount of heat produced by salty sea water. The rate of heat production can also be influenced by the speed and efficiency of the chemical reactions taking place.