Lens' and Magnification

In summary, an object is placed to the left of a lens and a real, inverted image is formed to the right of the lens. The image is half the size of the object and the distance between the object and image is 102.0 cm. Using the formula M = -q/p, where q is the distance from the lens to the image and p is the distance from the lens to the object, we can solve for the distance from the lens to the object. The correct answer is found by plugging in 102.0 cm for q and solving for p, which gives a distance of -204 cm. The negative value of m indicates the inverted image.
luap12
1.An object is placed to the left of a lens, and a real image is formed to the right of the lens. The image is inverted relative to the object and is one-half the size of the object. The distance between the object and the image is 102.0 cm.

(a1) How far from the lens is the object?

2.m=-(di/do)

3. with the equation above I thought it was just -1/2=120/do and solving for do gives -204 cm, but this answer is wrong, and so is 204. I know that m is negative because the image is inverted. Not sure if my logic is right or not, we haven't covered this yet in class but it is still on the homework.

Physics news on Phys.org
M = -q/p, in which q is the distance from the lens to the image and p is the distance from the lens to the object. The 102cm given is the distance between the object and image.

That worked, thanks. I had the wrong idea of what the terms actually meant.

1. What is a lens?

A lens is a curved piece of transparent material, usually glass or plastic, that is used to bend and focus light rays.

2. How does a lens work?

A lens works by refracting or bending light rays as they pass through it. This causes the light rays to converge or diverge, creating an image.

3. What is magnification?

Magnification is the process of making an object appear larger than its actual size. In the context of lenses, it refers to the increase in size of an image produced by a lens.

4. How is magnification calculated?

Magnification is calculated by dividing the size of the image produced by a lens by the size of the object being viewed. This is typically represented as a ratio or a percentage.

5. How does the shape of a lens affect magnification?

The shape of a lens, specifically its curvature, determines the amount of bending and focusing of light rays. A lens with a more curved shape will have a higher magnification compared to a lens with a flatter shape.