Find Vector u Midpoint (-2,-4,0) to (10,6,0) and (1,-4,4) to (5,8,-10)

In summary, the formula for finding the midpoint of a vector is (x1 + x2)/2, (y1 + y2)/2, (z1 + z2)/2, and to find the coordinates of the midpoint, you simply plug in the values of the endpoints and solve for the x, y, and z coordinates. This applies for both two-dimensional and three-dimensional space, as seen in examples such as the vector (-2,-4,0) to (10,6,0) having coordinates of (4,1,0) for its midpoint, and the vectors (1,-4,4) to (5,8,-10) having coordinates of (3,2,-3) for its midpoint
~Sam~

Homework Statement

Find the vector u=(xyz) whose

(i) initial point is the midpoint of (-2,-4,0) and (10,6,0)

(ii) terminal point is the midpoint of (1,-4,4) and (5,8,-10)

Homework Equations

I know the midpoint for two vectors from say..P to Q is P+ (1/2) (Q1-P1 Q2-P2, Q3-P3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find mids for both..but am confused by the initial midpoint to terminal midpoint..what else do I need?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think read start & end of the vector u, for initial & terminal respectively. The midpoint just let's you find where they are

To find the vector u, we first need to find the coordinates of the initial and terminal points. The initial point will be the midpoint of (-2,-4,0) and (10,6,0), which can be found using the formula (P+Q)/2, where P and Q are the coordinates of the two points. Plugging in the coordinates, we get (-2+10)/2 = 4 for the x-coordinate, (-4+6)/2 = 1 for the y-coordinate, and (0+0)/2 = 0 for the z-coordinate. Therefore, the initial point is (4,1,0).

Similarly, the terminal point will be the midpoint of (1,-4,4) and (5,8,-10), which can be found using the same formula. Plugging in the coordinates, we get (1+5)/2 = 3 for the x-coordinate, (-4+8)/2 = 2 for the y-coordinate, and (4-10)/2 = -3 for the z-coordinate. Therefore, the terminal point is (3,2,-3).

Now, we can use the coordinates of the initial and terminal points to find the vector u. The vector u will be the difference between the terminal point and the initial point, which can be found by subtracting the coordinates of the initial point from the coordinates of the terminal point. Therefore, the vector u is (3-4, 2-1, -3-0) = (-1,1,-3).

In summary, the vector u whose initial point is the midpoint of (-2,-4,0) and (10,6,0) and terminal point is the midpoint of (1,-4,4) and (5,8,-10) is (-1,1,-3).

1. What is the formula for finding the midpoint of a vector?

The formula for finding the midpoint of a vector is (x1 + x2)/2, (y1 + y2)/2, (z1 + z2)/2, where (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2) are the coordinates of the endpoints of the vector.

2. How do I find the coordinates of the midpoint of a vector?

To find the coordinates of the midpoint of a vector, simply plug in the values of the endpoints into the formula (x1 + x2)/2, (y1 + y2)/2, (z1 + z2)/2, and solve for the x, y, and z coordinates.

3. What are the coordinates of the midpoint of the vector (-2,-4,0) to (10,6,0)?

The coordinates of the midpoint of the vector (-2,-4,0) to (10,6,0) are (4,1,0).

4. How do I find the midpoint of a vector in three-dimensional space?

To find the midpoint of a vector in three-dimensional space, you will need to use the formula (x1 + x2)/2, (y1 + y2)/2, (z1 + z2)/2, where (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2) are the coordinates of the endpoints of the vector.

5. What are the coordinates of the midpoint of the vectors (1,-4,4) to (5,8,-10)?

The coordinates of the midpoint of the vectors (1,-4,4) to (5,8,-10) are (3,2,-3).