Which state in the US has the most 4 year colleges to study engineering at

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of universities in different states and which state would be preferred for studying science, engineering, or math. While Massachusetts has top universities, California has a larger population and therefore, more universities. However, the speaker expresses a preference for studying at MIT in Massachusetts. The conversation also mentions other states with a large number of universities.
land_of_ice
Are there more in say , Colorado, than there are in California ?
And Which state, given the choice, would you prefer to study science, engineering, or math in ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Off the cuff, I want to say MA and CA - but I don't have any empirical data to back that up.

I'd prefer to study in MA - MIT to be specific. Would I get in - well, you didn't ask that ;)

land_of_ice said:
Are there more in say , Colorado, than there are in California ?
And Which state, given the choice, would you prefer to study science, engineering, or math in ?

If I had the choice (money and intelligence not withstanding) I would of course prefer the best...MIT.

CS

In general, the larger the population of the state, the more universities it has. While MA is top heavy with good universities, I'd wager that there are more schools in CA, NY, TX, PA, etc.

TMFKAN64 said:
In general, the larger the population of the state, the more universities it has. While MA is top heavy with good universities, I'd wager that there are more schools in CA, NY, TX, PA, etc.

I agree TX does have quite a few engineering schools as well.

CS

TMFKAN64 said:
I agree - population is probably proportional the number of universities. Quality versus quantity is another discussion.

California has 33 ABET accredited schools. CO has 10. MA has 15. NY has 25. TX has 27. PA has 23.

If you think in terms of universities per square mile, MA beats CA hands down. :biggrin:

Hey... I just realized that Ohio (my home state) has 32 ABET schools, almost as many as California! Nothing in Cal Tech's league, but Case Western Reserve ought to be decent, if you can stand living in Cleveland. :uhh: (I grew up not far from Cleveland, so I'm entitled to poke fun at it. :smile:)

Add up Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin, and you get a total area comparable to California, and 92 ABET schools.

Last edited:

1. What state in the US has the most 4-year colleges for engineering?

As of 2021, the state with the most 4-year colleges for engineering is California, with a total of 29 schools offering engineering programs.

2. How many 4-year colleges in the US offer engineering programs?

There are currently 1,231 4-year colleges in the US that offer engineering programs.

3. What is the most popular engineering program in the US?

The most popular engineering program in the US is mechanical engineering, followed by civil engineering and computer engineering.

4. Are there any states in the US that do not have 4-year colleges for engineering?

Yes, there are a few states that do not have any 4-year colleges for engineering, including Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, and Wyoming.

5. Which state has the highest concentration of 4-year colleges for engineering?

Massachusetts has the highest concentration of 4-year colleges for engineering, with 18 schools offering engineering programs within the state.