Can a time dependent field to be conservative?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "conservative vector field" in relation to time independent and time varying fields. The use of Noether's theorem to determine conserved quantities is mentioned, and the significance of energy as a conserved quantity in time-translation symmetry is discussed. The possibility of other conserved quantities existing in time-varying fields is also mentioned.
BarbaraDav
(Sorry for my poor English, Please, forgive mistakes, if any.)

Dear Friends

Not doubts about what is to be meant for "conservative vector field" as far as time independent fields are concerned.

But what about non stationary fields? I thought it was a meaningless concept when field is changing in time: the line integral seems to be not well defined. All in all, why should I add up together values measured in different moments?

Nevertheless I suspect that in lagrangian and hamiltonian formalism someone consider "conservative" a non stationary field if a time varying potential function exists such as, in each instant, (at "frozen time", as Italians call it), the field is its gradient.

What do you think about that? Am I wrong?

Warmest regards.

Barabara Da Vinci
(Italy)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Barbara,

If the Lagrangian is symmetric under any differentiable operation then by Noether's theorem there is a conserved quantity associated with that symmetry.

So, if the action is static then it is symmetric under time translations and the conserved quantity associated with that symmetry is called energy. On the other hand, if the action is not static then it is not symmetric under time translations and energy is not conserved.

(Sorry for my poor English, Please, forgive mistakes, if any.)

Dear Friends

Thanks for your reply!

I agree. May be I am wrong, but Noether's theorem states a sufficient condition for a conservation law to exist, not a necessary one.

As an example, as far as I know, the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector, in a inverse square law keplerian problem, is conserved but no lagrangian's symmetry group is associated with it (possibly, one exists when the system is embedded in higher dimensional space, but I am not sure about that).

So I wonder if a line integral along a closed curve, in a time dependent field, still helds some significance despite energy being not conserved. Just to mention a non trivial conserved quantity (I evoke it here only as an example of a quantity hypothetically related with the line integral), let's think of the Jacobi's integral:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}\dfrac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}^{i}}\dot{q}^{i}-L[/tex]

Warmest regards

Barabara Da Vinci
(Italy)

Consider the lagrangian

[tex]L=\dot{q}\frac{t^{2}}{2}+qt[/tex]

When you pop that into the euler-lagrange equation, it works. What kind of field does it correspond to? I dunno, but it may be a clue.

BarbaraDav said:
So I wonder if a line integral along a closed curve, in a time dependent field, still helds some significance despite energy being not conserved.
That quantity may have some significance, I don't really know. A time-varying action may exhibit many other symmetries or conserved quantities, but energy is specifically the conserved quantity associated with time-translation symmetry. So whatever other conserved quantities may exist they would not be called energy.

I see. Thanks!

1. Can a time dependent field be conservative?

Yes, a time dependent field can be conservative. A conservative field is one in which the work done in moving an object from one point to another is independent of the path taken. This means that the total energy of the object remains constant, even if the field is changing over time.

2. How can a time dependent field be conservative?

A time dependent field can be conservative if the field satisfies the condition of being path independent. This means that the work done in moving an object from one point to another is the same regardless of the path taken. This is typically achieved by having the field be a gradient of a scalar potential function.

3. What is a conservative time dependent field?

A conservative time dependent field is one in which the work done in moving an object from one point to another is independent of the path taken, even if the field is changing over time. This means that the total energy of the object remains constant, and the field is typically a gradient of a scalar potential function.

4. Can a non-conservative field be time dependent?

Yes, a non-conservative field can be time dependent. A non-conservative field is one in which the work done in moving an object from one point to another depends on the path taken. This means that the total energy of the object is not conserved, and the field may not be a gradient of a scalar potential function.

5. What are some examples of time dependent conservative fields?

Some examples of time dependent conservative fields include an electric field produced by a time-varying magnetic field, a gravitational field in the presence of a time-varying mass distribution, and a fluid flow in a rotating frame of reference. In each of these cases, the field is path independent and can be described by a scalar potential function.