Solving the Pendulum Equation: L, T, pi & g

In summary, the period of a pendulum can be expressed as T=2(pi)*square.root.of(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared. To solve for g in terms of L, T, and pi, the equation can be rearranged to (T/2*pi)^2 = L/g, and then inverted to get g = (2*pi/T)^2 * L.
pkpiotr517
This is one question that's giving me a bit of trouble to handle.
The Period of a pendulum is given by the following equation:
e0ce071038f4bfa4bf458a2758ca9564.png

where T= period of pendulum (seconds)
L= Length of pendulum (meters)
g= acceleration doe to gravity (meters per second2)

Solve this equation in terms of L, T and pi. That means that g sould be by itself on one side of the equal sign and a combination of L, T, and pi should be on the other side of the equal sign.

T=2(pi)*square.root.of(L/g)

My attempt at the problem was:
(T)/(2*pi)= square.root.of(L/g)2
Then I squared the right side of the equation and did the same on the left in order to cancel out the square root on the right.
((T)/(2*pi))2=(L/g)
Afterwords, I tried to factor out the L by multiplying its inverse on the right and got:
((T)/(2*pi))2(1/L)=(1/g)

There I get stuck, because I'm not too sure if he wanted it set equal to 1/g. So if anyone can send some feedback, then it would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
From here

[tex]\left( \frac{T}{2 \pi}\right)^2= \frac{L}{g}[/tex]

You can just invert both sides of the equation and then multiply by L.

Or as you've done in the last line of your working, just invert both sides and you'll have 'g' in terms 'L' and 'T' and 'π'

So I would get:

[tex]\left( \frac{2 \pi }{T }\right)^2 (L)= {g}[/tex]

Is that correct?

Last edited:
Yes that looks correct.

1. What is the pendulum equation and how is it solved?

The pendulum equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the period (T) of a simple pendulum, which is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. It is solved by using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where L is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do the variables L, T, π, and g affect the pendulum equation?

The variable L represents the length of the pendulum, which directly affects the period T. The longer the pendulum, the longer it takes to complete one swing, resulting in a longer period. The variable g, which represents the acceleration due to gravity, also affects the period. A higher value of g will result in a shorter period. The constant π (pi) is used to convert the angular frequency to linear frequency in the equation, and it remains constant throughout the calculation.

3. What is the significance of the pendulum equation in physics?

The pendulum equation is significant in physics as it relates to the concept of simple harmonic motion. It helps to understand the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its period, as well as the influence of gravity on the motion of the pendulum. This equation is also used in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and even music to calculate the period of oscillating systems.

4. Can the pendulum equation be used to calculate the period of any pendulum?

The pendulum equation can only be used to calculate the period of a simple pendulum, which is an idealized pendulum with a massless, rigid rod and a point mass at the end. It does not apply to more complex pendulum systems such as compound or physical pendulums.

5. How accurate is the pendulum equation in calculating the period of a pendulum?

The pendulum equation provides an accurate calculation of the period of a simple pendulum as long as the assumptions of a small-angle approximation and a point mass are met. However, in real-life scenarios, other factors such as air resistance, friction, and the weight distribution of the pendulum may affect the accuracy of the equation.