Flatcar Hoop Problem: Find Ball's Initial Velocity

• Thread starter magnifik
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a man riding on a flatcar and throwing a ball through a stationary hoop. The man wants the ball to move horizontally as it passes through the hoop and throws it at a speed of 10.8m/s. The question is to find the vertical component of the ball's initial velocity. The relevant equations used are y=y0+v0t+1/2gt^2, y=4.9, y0=0, and g=9.8. The attempted solution involved solving for t and plugging the values into the equation, but the answer obtained was 5.65, which is incorrect. The final question is what the vertical component of the initial velocity should be when only
magnifik

Homework Statement

A man is riding on a flatcar traveling at a constant speed of 9.10m/s. He wishes to throw a ball through a stationary hoop 4.90m above the height of his hands in such a manner that the ball will move horizontally as it passes through the hoop. He throws the ball with a speed of 10.8m/s with respect to himself. What must the vertical component of the initial velocity of the ball be?

Homework Equations

y=y0+v0t+1/2gt^2
y=4.9?? ..not sure if that's right
y0=0
g=9.8

The Attempt at a Solution

i am pretty sure y=4.9
using this i solved t=v0/g
then i plugged what i had into the relevant equation
and i got v0=5.65 which is way off

please help! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Very awkward stated question but w/e.

What is the speed the vertical component when it only has a horizontal velocity?

i didn't write the question. it is very awkwardly stated though. would it be 0 since there is only horizontal direction?

Ok then just think about it like how much velocity you need to throw a ball 4.9m. Since the horizontal doesn't matter.

You might want to write down the question exactly.

1. What is the Flatcar Hoop Problem and why is it important?

The Flatcar Hoop Problem is a physics problem that involves finding the initial velocity of a ball rolling off the edge of a flatcar and into a hoop. It is important because it helps to illustrate the concepts of projectile motion and conservation of energy.

2. How is the initial velocity of the ball calculated?

The initial velocity of the ball can be calculated using the equation v = √(gh), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the flatcar above the ground.

3. What are the assumptions made in solving the Flatcar Hoop Problem?

The main assumptions made in solving the Flatcar Hoop Problem are that there is no air resistance, the hoop is a perfect circle, and the ball rolls without slipping.

4. Can the problem be solved using other methods besides the equation mentioned?

Yes, the problem can also be solved using the principle of conservation of energy. This involves setting the potential energy of the ball at the top of the flatcar equal to the kinetic energy of the ball at the bottom of the hoop.

5. How does the initial velocity of the ball affect its trajectory?

The initial velocity of the ball determines the shape and height of its trajectory. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer and flatter trajectory, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter and more curved trajectory.