Linear expansion: Can someone check my work?

In summary, the steel tower would be 0.0594 meters taller on a hot day of 40 degrees C compared to an average day of 22 degrees C, due to the coefficient of linear expansion for steel being 11 (10)^-6/degree C and using the equation for change in length of a material.
Dmitri10
If a steel tower stands 300 m tall on an average day, 22 degrees C, how much taller is it on a hot day, 40 degrees C?

The coefficient of linear expansion for steel is 11 (10)^-6/degree C.

The equation for change in length of a material is (change in L) = L * α * (change in T)

I know what α is, and I know what (change in T) is. I think that L is equal to 300.

300 m * 11 (10)^-6/degree C * 18 degrees C = 0.0594 m

So the tower is 0.0594 meter taller?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dmitri10 said:
If a steel tower stands 300 m tall on an average day, 22 degrees C, how much taller is it on a hot day, 40 degrees C?

The coefficient of linear expansion for steel is 11 (10)^-6/degree C.

The equation for change in length of a material is (change in L) = L * α * (change in T)

I know what α is, and I know what (change in T) is. I think that L is equal to 300.

300 m * 11 (10)^-6/degree C * 18 degrees C = 0.0594 m

So the tower is 0.0594 meter taller?
Yes (call it 6 cm):smile:

Your answer is right.

Awesome! Thank you both.

1. What is linear expansion?

Linear expansion is the increase in length of a material when it is heated. This is due to the individual atoms in the material vibrating faster and taking up more space, resulting in an overall increase in length.

2. How is linear expansion measured?

Linear expansion is measured using the coefficient of linear expansion (α), which is a constant that represents the change in length per unit length per degree of temperature change. It is usually measured in units of 1/°C or 1/°F.

3. What factors affect linear expansion?

The main factors that affect linear expansion are the material's coefficient of linear expansion, the change in temperature, and the initial length of the material. The type of material and its physical properties, such as density and molecular structure, can also play a role.

4. How does linear expansion impact everyday objects?

Linear expansion can cause materials to expand or contract with changes in temperature, which can lead to structural issues or changes in size. This can be seen in objects such as bridges, railroad tracks, and even household items like metal utensils or glass jars.

5. Can linear expansion be calculated or predicted?

Yes, the change in length due to linear expansion can be calculated or predicted using the equation ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the coefficient of linear expansion, L is the initial length, and ΔT is the change in temperature. However, this equation is only accurate for small temperature changes and may not account for all factors that can affect linear expansion.