Electric force between two point charges

In summary, two identical spheres with mass m and charge q are hung from silk thread with length L. Using the equations F=ma=Eq and the fact that the spheres are treated as point charges, it can be shown that the equilibrium separation d between the spheres is given by d=(q2L/2πε0mg)1/3 when the angle θ is small. Tension in the strings must also be taken into account in the equilibrium equation.
slugbunny

Homework Statement

Two identical spheres with mass m are hung from silk thread with length L. Each sphere has the same charge, so q1=q2=q. The radius of each sphere is very small compared to the distance between the two spheres, so they may be treated as point charges. Show that if the angle θ is small, the equilibrium separation d between the spheres is

d=(q2L/2πε0mg)1/3

(Hint: If θ is small, tanθ=sinθ)

Homework Equations

F=ma=Eq
The masses are hung from thread connected at the same point so that it looks pendulum-esque and possible use of triangles.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I started off with this equation
F=mg=Eq

then used symmetry
mg=2Exq
mg=2E sin(θ) q
mg=2q/(4πε0) (1/(1/2d)2) sin(θ) q

and sin(θ)=r/L so I got

mg=2q2/(4πε0) (4/d2) (r/L)
mg=2q2/(πε0d2) (d/2L)
mg=q2/(πε0dL)

and d is...

d=q2/(πε0Lmg)

I'm thinking that I would get the correct d if I lose the 2 from the electric field symmetry and switch the sin(θ) values (L/r instead of r/L), then I would get a d3 and an L in the numerator and it would work fine hahaha.

Thanks for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
slugbunny said:
Well I started off with this equation
F=mg=Eq

then used symmetry
mg=2Exq
mg=2E sin(θ) q
mg=2q/(4πε0) (1/(1/2d)2) sin(θ) q

My first reaction would be "huh"? Who gave you the idea that mg = qE? In fact, the weight and electric force act in perpendicular directions. Clearly there must be another force that balances the system such that it is in equilibrium! That would be tension in the strings. So,
[tex]mg = T \,cos \theta[/tex]
[tex]qE = T\, sin \theta[/tex]
Alright, carry on.

Thanks, I totally forgot about tension U:

So I can solve for T and get

mg=qE cot(θ)

which gets me the right answer! Thanks so so much :)

1. What is the electric force between two point charges?

The electric force between two point charges is a measure of the attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for many phenomena, including the behavior of atoms and molecules.

2. How is the electric force between two point charges calculated?

The electric force between two point charges is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the electric force between two point charges?

The electric force between two point charges is affected by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them. The force increases as the charges get larger and decreases as the distance between them increases.

4. Can the electric force between two point charges be attractive and repulsive at the same time?

No, the electric force between two point charges can only be either attractive or repulsive. Like charges (positive and positive or negative and negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (positive and negative) will attract each other.

5. How does the presence of other charges affect the electric force between two point charges?

The presence of other charges can affect the electric force between two point charges by creating an electric field that can influence the forces acting on the charges. This is known as superposition, where the total force on a charge is the sum of the forces due to each individual charge.