Area of triangle inside parallelogram

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a triangle using the given areas of other triangles and possible equations such as the area of a triangle formula and Heron's formula. The attempt at a solution involves finding the values of a, b, and c but the person is unsure how to proceed due to the unknown relationship between the angles. However, it is suggested that the ratios will be the same regardless of the angles, so it may be easier to make the triangle a square for solving the exercise.
cjwalle

Homework Statement

http://folk.uio.no/robinbj/gg/ggstart.pdf"
I am supposed to find the area of the triangle PQD. The numbers given are the areas of the other triangles.

Homework Equations

[tex]A= \frac{1}{2} a b \sin{C}[/tex]

As well as Heron's formula, possibly?
[tex]A= \sqrt{s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)}[/tex] where [tex]s = \frac{a+b+c}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Where I'm stumped is exactly how to start. At first, I figured I'd try to find the values of a, b and c. Using the area of a triangle:

[tex]a = DP = \frac{14}{AP\sin{\theta}}[/tex]

Similarly, for b:

[tex]b = QP = \frac{56}{QB\sin{\alpha}}[/tex]

And c:

[tex] c = QD = \frac{28}{QC\sin{x}} [/tex]

Meaning that [tex]s = \frac{7}{AP\sin{\theta}} + \frac{28}{QB\sin{\alpha}} + \frac{14}{QC\sin{x}} [/tex]

However, dealing with three different angles, without knowing the relationship between them or the sum of the angles, I just don't know how to proceed and solve the exercise based on this. I am not looking for a solution from you guys, mind you. Just a tip to get me on the right track?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cjwalle! :smile:

I don't think the angles matter …

won't the ratios be the same, whatever the angles are, so you might as well make it a square?

my first step would be to carefully analyze the given information and identify any patterns or relationships that may be useful in solving the problem. In this case, we can see that the areas of the triangles PQA and PQC are given and we know that the area of a triangle is half the product of its base and height. This means that we can express the height of these triangles in terms of their bases and areas.

Next, I would draw a diagram and label all known and unknown quantities, using the relationships we have identified. This will help us visualize the problem and make it easier to identify a possible solution.

Once we have a clear understanding of the given information and have a diagram to guide us, we can start considering different mathematical methods to solve the problem. As you have mentioned, we can use the formula for the area of a triangle (A= \frac{1}{2} a b \sin{C}) or Heron's formula (A= \sqrt{s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)} where s = \frac{a+b+c}{2}).

In this case, it may be helpful to use Heron's formula, as it allows us to calculate the area of a triangle using only the lengths of its sides. We can use the values we have calculated for a, b, and c to determine the semi-perimeter (s) and then plug those values into the formula to find the area of triangle PQD.

In addition, we can also use the fact that the area of a parallelogram is equal to the product of its base and height. This means that we can find the area of parallelogram PQCB using the given information and then subtract the areas of triangles PQA and PQC to find the area of triangle PQD.

Overall, it is important to carefully analyze the given information, draw a diagram, and consider different mathematical methods to find the solution. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle inside a parallelogram?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle inside a parallelogram is half the product of the base and height of the parallelogram.

2. How do you determine the base and height of a parallelogram to find the area of the triangle inside?

The base and height of a parallelogram can be determined by using the sides and angles of the parallelogram. The base is one of the sides of the parallelogram, and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite side.

3. Can the area of a triangle inside a parallelogram be greater than the area of the parallelogram?

No, the area of a triangle inside a parallelogram will always be half the area of the parallelogram because it is determined by the base and height of the parallelogram.

4. How does the position of the triangle inside the parallelogram affect its area?

The position of the triangle inside the parallelogram does not affect its area. As long as the triangle is inside the parallelogram, the area will remain constant.

5. Can the area of a triangle inside a parallelogram be negative?

No, the area of a triangle inside a parallelogram will always be a positive value. If the calculation results in a negative value, it means that the triangle is not actually inside the parallelogram.