Becoming a Doctor: 19YO Starting College in Spring

• Thread starter RazorRose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doctor
In summary: It can be, but the payoff is worth it. I'm glad you're considering it! In summary, Razor, you are going to college in the spring and are most interested in neurology and infectious diseases. You have been CPR/AED/First Aid certified for a year and are working as a CNA. Have you had any patient contacts yet? What are your goals for a career in medicine?
RazorRose
not sure what kind yet, but I'm starting college in the spring, and I'm only nineteen.
i'm most interested in neurology, and infectious diseases, any words or advice or some such?

Physics news on Phys.org
RazorRose said:
not sure what kind yet, but I'm starting college in the spring, and I'm only nineteen.
i'm most interested in neurology, and infectious diseases, any words or advice or some such?

Have you had patient contacts yet? Maybe volunteered at a hospital or with your city's fire department as a CERT member? How long have you been CPR/AED/First Aid certified? If you enjoy patient contacts, the I think medicine is a fine career to go for.

i have been CPR/AED/First Aid certified for about a year now.
and i work at united general hospital, (recently started) as a CNA.
i don't know what you mean though patient contacts. as in contact with patients? if so yes.

Great! Yes, you are doing the right things. I'm an EMT part time (full time EE), and have found that I enjoy working with patients. Even the ones who are PO'ed, or very sick, or terminal. Some patient contacts can be very challenting and sometimes difficult, but there is a lot of value in being able to help out folks who really need the help.

Good goals, Razor. Enjoy the ride!

I Don't know what your referring to when you say EE.
Thats Cool I've met a couple guys here that work down in ems. they all really seem to like it.
what did you have to do to get your EMT... license?

yeah i definitely know what you mean.
I Really like working here and in this field cause i directly impact peoples lives and sometimes even save them,

I wish they made all future doctors become medics first before getting into med school, and then working for a year in a 911 EMS system. It seems everytime I see one of the med students they look like an antelope in the headlights, catatonic from the first time they saw a dead body in anatomy lab. Please don't be one of those people who take up a spot in med school just to 'find themselves'. Dont go thru 4 years just to realize you would rather do something else.

That being said, a medical doctor is not really a scientist. If you want to get into 'neurology, and infectious diseases', perhaps you would rather be doing research as a PhD student instead of going to medical school.

RazorRose said:
I Don't know what your referring to when you say EE.
Thats Cool I've met a couple guys here that work down in ems. they all really seem to like it.
what did you have to do to get your EMT... license?

yeah i definitely know what you mean.
I Really like working here and in this field cause i directly impact peoples lives and sometimes even save them,

EE is electrical engineer -- my day job. To get your EMT cert takes about 160 hours of class with tests, a national exam (NREMT), Healthcare Provider CPR/AED certification, and a background check. We re-certify every 2 years with at least 48 hours of continuing education classes (CEs) and more tests.

To get your Paramedic certification, it's more like a couple thousand hours of classes and tests, and a probationary period in the field.

To be a doctor, ... well, you already know that. :smile:

berkeman said:
To get your Paramedic certification, it's more like a couple thousand hours of classes and tests, and a probationary period in the field.

To be a paramedic you can either go through a certificate program that lasts about a year (16 hours of classroom hours a week, and about 24 hours of clinical rotations a week for a year). Another option is an Associate in Applied Science degree from a community college. The training is not too hard, but has a certain degree of stress associated with it. The way you are tested and pushed in the classroom are meant to create muscle memory, and the added stress is there so that you don't 'freeze up' in the field. Obviously no classroom can prepare you for the real deal, so the field rotations (approximately 300 hours) are meant to guide you through each possible scenario on a real life ambulance with seasoned paramedics. You will respond with them in the field and gradually perform most of the procedures on the patients under their supervision.

You can take NREMT-P exam after you finish the program, and with that certificate you can work in most states. You will also have to pass ACLS, PALS, and in most places PHTLS certificates. But those are mostly easy 16 hour courses meant to rehash the material you already know from the class.

Cool.
yeah i just looked into it and i can take a course called Basic-EMT Next semester and its like a prep course for nremt i thinks.
hmmmm...
so it sounds like that's a good step to take.

hmmmm i like what i find out about science but i don't know a lot yet.
i really get fascinated particularly by those two topics and i'd like to be able to help peope and directly impact other peoples lives.

What are the requirements for becoming a doctor?

In order to become a doctor, you will need to complete a bachelor's degree, typically in a science-related field such as biology or chemistry. After completing your undergraduate degree, you will need to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and apply to medical school. Medical school typically takes 4 years to complete, followed by a residency program which can range from 3-7 years depending on the specialty you choose.

What kind of classes should I take in college to prepare for medical school?

In addition to prerequisite courses in biology, chemistry, and physics, it is important to take courses that will help you develop strong critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving skills. Classes in English, psychology, and sociology can also be beneficial for future doctors.

How do I know if medical school is right for me?

Becoming a doctor requires a lot of hard work, dedication, and a passion for helping others. It is important to assess your interests, strengths, and values to determine if a career in medicine is the right fit for you. You can also gain hands-on experience through internships, volunteering, or shadowing doctors to get a better understanding of the field.

What are the challenges of becoming a doctor?

Becoming a doctor is a long and rigorous process, requiring many years of education and training. This can be challenging both financially and emotionally. The intense workload and high-pressure environment of medical school and residency can also be difficult to manage. Additionally, doctors often face long work hours and high levels of stress in their careers.

What are the benefits of becoming a doctor?

Becoming a doctor allows you to make a positive impact on people's lives by providing medical care and improving their health. It also offers a high level of job security and a competitive salary. As a doctor, you have the opportunity to continuously learn and advance in your field, and the satisfaction of using your skills and knowledge to help others can be incredibly rewarding.