Classical Physics-Modern Physics

In summary, classical physics refers to the study of Nature using deterministic models that predict exact outcomes of experiments, while non-classical physics uses probabilistic models and predicts only the likelihood of outcomes. There are some differing opinions about the exact time period or theories that fall under classical physics, but it generally encompasses everything before the development of quantum mechanics.
Wannabeagenius
Hi All,

I'm not sure exactly what is considered classical physics.

I always thought it was everything before Einstein's Theory Of Special Relativity but recently I read that it is everything other than Quantum Mechanics.

Please clarify this for me.

Thank you,
Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I gather, there are two distinctions, depending on the context in which you are talking about classical vs. modern physics. You pinpoint both of them very nicely.

For an undergraduate course in classical physics, it's probably everything before 1900. However, I often hear General Relativity referred to as a classical theory, especially when it's juxtaposed with a theory of quantum gravity. So, depends on the context.

Wannabeagenius said:
Hi All,

I'm not sure exactly what is considered classical physics.

I always thought it was everything before Einstein's Theory Of Special Relativity but recently I read that it is everything other than Quantum Mechanics.

Please clarify this for me.

Thank you,
Bob

I think classical physics is all physics that models Nature as deterministic and in principle predicts that all outcomes of an experiment are knowable exactly, Newton's Laws, Maxwell's equations, Einstein's theory of relativity. Non-classical physics predicts only probabilistic outcomes of experiments and models Nature as probabalistic rather than deterministic. Quantum mechanics when first proposed said that there is no possibility of a precisely predicted outcome of an experiment and that the underlying physical processes were fundamentally probabalistic. Now a days I am not sure that this is still true.

What is the difference between classical physics and modern physics?

Classical physics is the study of the physical laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy at a macroscopic level. It includes branches such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. Modern physics, on the other hand, is the study of the physical laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level, including quantum mechanics and relativity.

What are some key discoveries in classical physics?

Some key discoveries in classical physics include Isaac Newton's laws of motion, the law of universal gravitation, and the laws of thermodynamics. These principles have been used to explain and predict the behavior of objects in the observable world.

What is the importance of modern physics?

Modern physics has revolutionized our understanding of the universe, from the behavior of subatomic particles to the structure of space and time. It has led to technological advancements such as computers, lasers, and nuclear energy, and has opened up new areas of research and exploration.

How do classical and modern physics work together?

Classical and modern physics are complementary to each other, with classical physics providing a framework for understanding the behavior of large-scale objects and modern physics providing a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. Many modern technologies, such as GPS, rely on the principles of both classical and modern physics.

What are some examples of classical and modern physics in our daily lives?

Classical physics can be seen in everyday activities such as driving a car, cooking, or throwing a ball. Modern physics is present in technologies such as smartphones, computers, and medical imaging devices. It also plays a role in understanding natural phenomena such as the behavior of stars and the formation of the universe.