Work done by lifting block attached to spring

In summary: E(non-conservative) = Change in kinetic energy of system K(conservative) = Change in potential energy of systemSo, in summary, the spring exerts a force of 75 newtons on the weight, and the weight exerts a force of 240 newtons on the spring.
demonelite123
If one hangs a spring (of constant 10lbs/ft) vertically and attaches a 10lb. weight to the spring, how much work is done in raising the weight 6 inches from where it hangs naturally?

i drew a free body diagram and deduced that when you are lifting the weight up, the forces of gravity and spring force act downward (since spring force always acts opposite to displacement). so my equation for force is F = mg + kx = 10 + 10x. so i took the integral of that from 0 to 1/2 and i got 6.25 ft lbs or 75 in lbs. but my book's answer is 240 in lbs. how did they get that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spring force acts opposite to displacement from natural length.
It would still act upward opposite to gravity when you pull the block up,at least upto a feet(that's what the question says).

no the spring force has to be down since I'm displacing the spring upwards from its natural length. i think the problem just has a typo. it should be 10 lbs/in instead of 10 lbs/ft. then when i integrate 10+10x from 0 to 6, i get the answer as 240 in lbs.

anyways thank you for your input!

demonelite123 said:
no the spring force has to be down since I'm displacing the spring upwards from its natural length.
I don't believe that is correct, you are displacing it upward from its natural hanging length when the weight is on it, in its equilibrium position (that's what the problem says). So when you move the spring up 6 inches, it is still in its stretched position, so the spring force acting on the weight is up. The answer is not 240 in-lb, even if there was a typo. Throw out the book answer, and toss out the question with it. Aim 1732's response was correct.

oh i understand now. so would it be the integral from 0 to 1/2 of 10x-10?

It would be 10-10x since the force is upwards.
A better way to look at the problem is in terms of energy.Specifically,

W(non-conservative) + W(external) = Change in mechanical energy of system

1. What is work done by lifting block attached to spring?

The work done by lifting a block attached to a spring refers to the energy required to lift the block against the spring's resistance. This work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the block by the distance it is lifted.

2. How is work done by lifting block attached to spring related to potential energy?

The work done by lifting a block attached to a spring is directly related to the potential energy stored in the spring. As the block is lifted, the spring is stretched and potential energy is stored in the spring. This potential energy is then converted into work as the block is lifted against the spring's resistance.

3. What factors affect the work done by lifting block attached to spring?

The work done by lifting a block attached to a spring is affected by the force applied to the block, the distance it is lifted, and the stiffness of the spring. The greater the force and distance, and the stiffer the spring, the more work will be done.

4. How is the work done by lifting block attached to spring calculated?

The work done by lifting a block attached to a spring is calculated using the formula W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. This formula assumes that the force applied is constant and the block is being lifted vertically.

5. Can the work done by lifting block attached to spring ever be negative?

Yes, the work done by lifting a block attached to a spring can be negative if the force applied to the block is less than the force of the spring pushing back. In this case, the spring will do work on the block, causing it to descend and reducing its potential energy.