Description of bipolar and unipolar transistors

• Thread starter niko2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistors
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding websites with descriptions of bipolar and unipolar transistors, specifically analyzing their DC U-I characteristics. One person suggested using Google to find such information, while another expressed difficulty in understanding certain technical terms and concepts related to transistors. They also asked for an explanation of the current flow when a transistor is connected to a voltage.
niko2000
Hi,
Does anyone know any website with description of bipolar and unipolar transistors (analysis of DC U-I characteristic...)
Regards,
Niko

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are literally hundreds of thousands of sites. Either ask a specific question (we'll try to answer) or use www.google.com.

- Warren

I hope you will understand what I write, because English is not my primary language so I don't know translations for technical words.
I don't clearly understand how to calculate recombinational current.
I think I don't understand clearly what is happening in the transistor when we connect it to a voltages. Could anyone describe the flow of the current?

1. What is the difference between a bipolar and unipolar transistor?

A bipolar transistor is a type of transistor that uses both electrons and holes as charge carriers. It has three terminals: emitter, base, and collector. A unipolar transistor, also known as a field-effect transistor, uses only one type of charge carrier (either electrons or holes) and has three terminals: source, gate, and drain.

2. How do bipolar and unipolar transistors function?

In a bipolar transistor, the base-emitter junction is forward biased, which allows the flow of majority carriers (electrons or holes) from the emitter to the base. This creates a larger current flow from the collector to the emitter. In a unipolar transistor, the gate voltage controls the conductivity of the channel between the source and drain, allowing for the flow of majority carriers.

3. What are the applications of bipolar and unipolar transistors?

Bipolar transistors are commonly used in amplifiers, switches, and digital circuits. Unipolar transistors are often used in switching circuits, voltage regulators, and power supplies. Both types of transistors are essential components in electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and televisions.

4. How do the characteristics of bipolar and unipolar transistors differ?

Bipolar transistors have a higher gain (amplification) compared to unipolar transistors. However, unipolar transistors have a lower saturation voltage and can handle higher currents. Additionally, the switching speed of unipolar transistors is faster than that of bipolar transistors.

5. What are some common types of bipolar and unipolar transistors?

Some common types of bipolar transistors include NPN and PNP transistors, which are both made of silicon and have different biasing directions. Common unipolar transistors include JFETs (junction field-effect transistors) and MOSFETs (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors), which are made of different materials and have different structures and characteristics.