[Graph theory] Formula for the size of a line graph

Summary: In summary, we have defined the terms order, size, and degree of a graph and examined the line graph L(G), which has vertices that correspond to the edges in G and adjacent vertices if the corresponding edges in G share a vertex. We have found that the size of L(G) is equal to twice the size of G, or 2m, where m is the number of edges in G. This formula can be expressed as |L(G)| = 2m in terms of n, m, and ri.
dbh2ppa

Homework Statement

Let G be a graph of order n and size m.
V(G)={v1,v2,...,vn} and deg(vi)=ri.
Find a formula for the size of the line graph L(G) in terms of n, m, and ri.

Homework Equations

The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_graph" L(G) is the graph such that every vertex in L(G) corresponds to an edge in G, and two vertices in L(G) are adjacent iff the corresponding edges in G share a vertex.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the degree of any w in V(L(G)), when w is equivalent to some edge (va,vb) in G, is (ra-1)+(rb-1), that is to say ra+rb-2.
The size of L(G) would be (with it's vertices labeled from 1 to m).
[tex]
\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{m} r_{a_{i}}+r_{b_{i}}-2}{2}
[/tex]
Where vai and vbi are the vertices of the edge in G corresponding to wi in L(G). This, however, seems to be the least elegant solution possible. Is there a better solution? Are there any errors in the one I wrote? (I really am not sure about it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am happy to assist you in finding a formula for the size of the line graph L(G) in terms of n, m, and ri.

First, let's start by defining some terms. The order of a graph is the number of vertices in the graph, denoted by n. The size of a graph is the number of edges in the graph, denoted by m. The degree of a vertex is the number of edges incident to that vertex, denoted by ri.

Now, let's take a closer look at the line graph L(G). As you correctly stated, L(G) is a graph where each vertex corresponds to an edge in G and two vertices in L(G) are adjacent if the corresponding edges in G share a vertex.

To find a formula for the size of L(G), we can start by considering the number of vertices in L(G). Since each vertex in L(G) corresponds to an edge in G, and G has m edges, L(G) will have m vertices.

Next, we can consider the degree of each vertex in L(G). As you mentioned, the degree of a vertex w in L(G) is equal to (ra-1)+(rb-1) where ra and rb are the degrees of the vertices in G that correspond to the edge represented by w in L(G).

Therefore, the total sum of degrees in L(G) is given by:

\sum_{i=1}^{m} [(ra-1)+(rb-1)] = 2m-2m = 0

Since the sum of degrees in a graph is always equal to twice the number of edges, we can conclude that L(G) has 2m edges.

In conclusion, the size of L(G) is equal to 2m, or simply twice the size of G. Therefore, the formula for the size of L(G) in terms of n, m, and ri is:

|L(G)| = 2m

I hope this helps you understand the size of the line graph L(G) better. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification.

What is a line graph in graph theory?

In graph theory, a line graph is a graph where the vertices represent the edges of a given graph, and two vertices are adjacent if and only if their corresponding edges share a common endpoint.

What is the formula for calculating the size of a line graph?

The formula for the size of a line graph is given by:
Size(G) = |E| - |V| + 1, where |E| is the number of edges in the original graph and |V| is the number of vertices in the original graph.

Can the size of a line graph be negative?

No, the size of a line graph cannot be negative as it represents the number of edges in the graph. It is always a positive value.

Do all graphs have a line graph?

No, not all graphs have a line graph. In order for a graph to have a line graph, it must have at least one edge and the edges must be distinct (no parallel edges).

How is the size of a line graph related to the original graph?

The size of a line graph is directly related to the original graph. It represents the number of edges in the original graph that can be represented as vertices in the line graph.