Does a Sound Card Improve Performance with a USB Headset?

• Thread starter izytang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound Usb
In summary, the user originally had an integrated sound card but later purchased a USB headset with a built-in sound card to solve the sound card problem. However, they recently bought a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 with the belief that it would improve performance by processing sound and sending it to the USB headset. The user is now questioning if the sound card is actually being used or if the USB headset does all the processing. They also wonder if the sound card can improve performance for gaming. They are using a Logitech USB headset and are considering contacting the manufacturer for more information.
izytang
Hey everyone,
My PC originally came without a soundcard (had integrated sound) and awhile back I got a USB Headset because they have a built-in sound card in them, which would've solved my sound card problem. But, now I recently purchased a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 because someone told me that it would do all the sound processing and send it to the USB headset, and boost overall PC performance.

But now I am wondering: Doesn't the Headset already do this with it's built-in sound card? Is my sound card just sitting there? Or was this guy right: Does it actually "help" the USB headset soundcard out with some of the data processing and boost PC peformance (say for gaming)? I'd like to know some information about the two. Thanks

(And for those curious, I'm using a Logitech USB Headset)

Computer science news on Phys.org
izytang said:
Hey everyone,
My PC originally came without a soundcard (had integrated sound) and awhile back I got a USB Headset because they have a built-in sound card in them, which would've solved my sound card problem. But, now I recently purchased a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 because someone told me that it would do all the sound processing and send it to the USB headset, and boost overall PC performance.

But now I am wondering: Doesn't the Headset already do this with it's built-in sound card? Is my sound card just sitting there? Or was this guy right: Does it actually "help" the USB headset soundcard out with some of the data processing and boost PC peformance (say for gaming)? I'd like to know some information about the two. Thanks

(And for those curious, I'm using a Logitech USB Headset)

This is very interesting. My first thought is that the headset bypasses the onboard and sb card. I've never used a usb headset before though. It's only $40 so I highy doubt its as quality as the sb 5.1 card. The headset manual might tell you if it requires a soundcard or not. I'd just call or email them directly.

Hi there,

It's great that you were able to find a solution for your sound card problem by using a USB headset with a built-in sound card. However, it's understandable that you are now wondering if your recent purchase of a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 was necessary.

To answer your question, yes, your USB headset does have a built-in sound card that handles sound processing and sends it to the headset. This means that your sound card is not just sitting there, it is actually being used by your USB headset.

As for the claims that the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 can boost overall PC performance, it is possible that it can help with some data processing and improve sound quality for gaming. However, the extent of this boost may vary and is also dependent on your specific computer setup.

In summary, your USB headset already has a built-in sound card that is handling sound processing, but the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 may still provide some benefits in terms of sound quality and possibly even performance. It's up to you to decide if the added investment was worth it for your specific needs.

Hope this helps clarify things for you. Happy gaming!

1. What is a USB headset and sound card?

A USB headset and sound card is a device that combines a headset with a built-in sound card, allowing for both audio input (microphone) and output (speakers) to be connected to a computer via a USB port.

2. How does a USB headset and sound card differ from a regular headset?

A regular headset only has a headphone and microphone jack, whereas a USB headset and sound card has a USB connector that transfers both audio input and output digitally, resulting in better sound quality and compatibility with different devices.

3. What are the advantages of using a USB headset and sound card?

Using a USB headset and sound card eliminates the need for separate audio input and output devices, simplifies setup, and often provides better sound quality. It also allows for more flexibility in terms of device compatibility.

4. Can a USB headset and sound card be used with any computer?

Most USB headsets and sound cards are compatible with both Mac and Windows computers. However, it is always recommended to check the system requirements before making a purchase.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a USB headset and sound card?

One potential disadvantage is that a USB headset and sound card may require additional drivers to be installed, which could cause compatibility issues with certain devices. Additionally, some models may have a shorter lifespan compared to traditional headsets due to the complexity of the built-in sound card.